carlos de Noruega

Default Working with large Word documents with embedded Excel diagrams

I am working with a 16 MB document (but only 40 pages) with lots of embedded
Excel-diagrams. The Word document was worked on in a previous version of Word
and we now just want to update the diagrams and some of the text. I have used
the copy/paste functions to copy diagrams from Excel to Word. The Excel
diagrams have a number of worksheets among them the diagram which was pasted.

My problem: Saving the documents takes a very long time (many minutes).
Furthermore, I have tryed to split up the document in smaller parts, but have
got error notifications when trying to save the file. I am grateful for any
tips for saving time in working with such documents.

Carlos de Noruega
Big Dave UK

Unless you really need to embed the whole Excel workbooks in your documents I
would strongly advise against it. I have found big documents to cause lots of
problems - being slow is normal - working at all is a good thing.

I recommend keeping the Excel workbooks seperate and pasting the diagrams in
as pictures.

To copy from Excel as a picture, while holding the SHIFT key click Edit and
Copy Picture.

Either that or when pasting into Word, use Paste Special and select a
picture type rather than an Excel object.

"carlos de Noruega" wrote:

I am working with a 16 MB document (but only 40 pages) with lots of embedded
Excel-diagrams. The Word document was worked on in a previous version of Word
and we now just want to update the diagrams and some of the text. I have used
the copy/paste functions to copy diagrams from Excel to Word. The Excel
diagrams have a number of worksheets among them the diagram which was pasted.

My problem: Saving the documents takes a very long time (many minutes).
Furthermore, I have tryed to split up the document in smaller parts, but have
got error notifications when trying to save the file. I am grateful for any
tips for saving time in working with such documents.

Carlos de Noruega

carlos de Noruega

You are quiet right about the problems . The thing is we are going to print a
report later. The whole Word document is therefore sent over to our
information departm.
where someone transfers both text and diagrams to a publishing tool. In the
publishing tool they the make all the diagrams once more and therefore has to
see the data. Efficient ? hardly...
--
Carlos de Noruega

"carlos de Noruega" wrote:

I am working with a 16 MB document (but only 40 pages) with lots of embedded
Excel-diagrams. The Word document was worked on in a previous version of Word
and we now just want to update the diagrams and some of the text. I have used
the copy/paste functions to copy diagrams from Excel to Word. The Excel
diagrams have a number of worksheets among them the diagram which was pasted.

My problem: Saving the documents takes a very long time (many minutes).
Furthermore, I have tryed to split up the document in smaller parts, but have
got error notifications when trying to save the file. I am grateful for any
tips for saving time in working with such documents.

Carlos de Noruega

Big Dave UK

Perhaps think about linking instead of embedding and keeping the linked Excel
workbooks in a location both departments can see? Or even pass around the
Word document and the Excel files in a bundle.

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
letters - ask/fillin Caroline H New Users 2 February 25th 05 08:19 PM
Excel worksheet in Word linked text boxes Eduardo Oliveira Page Layout 0 January 5th 05 11:23 PM