Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ChrisB

Default How do I use hyperlink base?

I want to use an environment variable as a htperlink base in Word and Excel.
For example a variable DOCUMENTS may be set as c:\mystuff\documents and then
a hyperlink would be relative to it in a document. If I use
c:\mystuff\documents as the hyperlink base it is fine, but I can't see how to
use the variable DOCUMENTS. %DOCUMENTS% doesn't seem to work.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Hi Chris:

The hyperlink base you set needs to be the complete path in Internet format
including the protocol identifier.

For hyperlink base to work, all the target documents need to be in the same
folder. You can't use a combination: it's either hyperlink base plus file
name (only), or you need the full explicit path and file name. You can't
have a hyperlink base + folder name + file name.

I suggest that what you "actually" want is NO hyperlink base. By default,
Word writes relative hyperlinks.

Cheers

On 30/3/06 6:54 PM, in article
, "ChrisB"
wrote:

I want to use an environment variable as a htperlink base in Word and Excel.
For example a variable DOCUMENTS may be set as c:\mystuff\documents and then
a hyperlink would be relative to it in a document. If I use
c:\mystuff\documents as the hyperlink base it is fine, but I can't see how to
use the variable DOCUMENTS. %DOCUMENTS% doesn't seem to work.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ChrisB

Thanks,

However, setting no base adds a hyperlink ralative to my computer, it
inserts c:\etc ..., this will not be the same on other peoples machines.

wrote:

I want to use an environment variable as a htperlink base in Word and Excel.
For example a variable DOCUMENTS may be set as c:\mystuff\documents and then
a hyperlink would be relative to it in a document. If I use
c:\mystuff\documents as the hyperlink base it is fine, but I can't see how to
use the variable DOCUMENTS. %DOCUMENTS% doesn't seem to work.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Once the hyperlinks are in the document, reveal your field codes, then use
Find/Replace to remove the path, leaving just the file name. Word won't put
it back in.

This technique requires that all the linked files be in the same folder as
the document.

Alternatively, save the document on the server before you add the
hyperlinks. That way, the links ought to be correct on anyone's computer.

cheers

On 3/4/06 5:21 PM, in article
, "ChrisB"

wrote:

I want to use an environment variable as a htperlink base in Word and Excel.
For example a variable DOCUMENTS may be set as c:\mystuff\documents and then
a hyperlink would be relative to it in a document. If I use
c:\mystuff\documents as the hyperlink base it is fine, but I can't see how
use the variable DOCUMENTS. %DOCUMENTS% doesn't seem to work.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ChrisB

Thanks I will try that. It seems to me that it would be much more useful for
Word, and all the other Office programmes to use environment variables as a
possible hyperlink base.

wrote:

I want to use an environment variable as a htperlink base in Word and Excel.
For example a variable DOCUMENTS may be set as c:\mystuff\documents and then
a hyperlink would be relative to it in a document. If I use
c:\mystuff\documents as the hyperlink base it is fine, but I can't see how
use the variable DOCUMENTS. %DOCUMENTS% doesn't seem to work.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ChrisB

I have tried this. revealing the field codes does indeed show a relative
path. However if you hover over the link (or indeed use the link) it
resolves to an incorrect place.

I created a file in directory bert called fred.doc. At the same level there
is a folder ethel, this has another document inside. In fred I created a
hyperlink to the document in ethel. On someone elses machine, where the base
folder is called notbert, the hyperlink tried to load
c:\bert\ethel\thedocument (correct on my machine), rather than
c:\notbert\etthel\thedocument.

wrote:

I want to use an environment variable as a htperlink base in Word and Excel.
For example a variable DOCUMENTS may be set as c:\mystuff\documents and then
a hyperlink would be relative to it in a document. If I use
c:\mystuff\documents as the hyperlink base it is fine, but I can't see how
use the variable DOCUMENTS. %DOCUMENTS% doesn't seem to work.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You have to make two passes with Find/Replace, once for the display text and
once for the field code; see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HyperlinkProbs.htm

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread. Please do not

email