Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anita

Default Is it possible to insert a file code showing the Versions comment

I want to view the Versions comment field in the footer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Margaret Aldis

Not an answer to the question you asked, but I would strongly recommend you
don't use Word built-in versions. They increase file size and the chance of
corruption, and the idea is inherently unsafe - instead of making separate
back-ups you can return to in the event of failure, you are storing all your
eggs in the one basket.

I would suggest you store each version in a separate file, and use custom
properties to store version numbers and comments. You can insert these
freely into the footer using DOCPROPERTY fields.

If you need something more automatic, it's not too hard to write a little
macro to offer an input box to enter comments and to update version
numbers - you can run this in place of a standard Close to emulate Word's
automatic versions, or put it in place of Word's version dialog.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Anita" wrote in message
I want to view the Versions comment field in the footer

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anita

Default Is it possible to insert a file code showing the Versions comm

Tank you for your tip. I have decided to use the field: Comment in the Doc
property Dialog Box and inserted the field for that in the footer and
manually update the field. I do agree, its better to stay in control ;-)

"Anita" wrote in message
I want to view the Versions comment field in the footer

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton

Also, Versions are no longer supported in Word 2007 so if you plan on
upgrading you won't be able to use this feature.

Personally, I use separate files. Then if I need to compare changes in
the versions I use Tools/Compare and Merge documents. This will merge
each version into a main document and shows the revisions using Track
Changes.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word