J.Duncan

Default How do I insert roman numerals into the text of a Word document?

I don't know how to insert a roman numeral in the text of a Word document. I
figured it would be in symbols but it is not.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I insert roman numerals into the text of a Word document?

No worries, inserting Roman numerals in a Word document is actually quite simple! Here's how you can do it:
  1. Place your cursor where you want to insert the Roman numeral.
  2. Click on the "Insert" tab in the top menu.
  3. Click on the "Symbol" button in the "Symbols" section of the ribbon.
  4. Select "More Symbols" at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
  5. In the "Symbol" tab, select "Latin-1 Supplement" from the "Subset" drop-down menu.
  6. Scroll down until you find the Roman numeral you want to insert.
  7. Double-click on the Roman numeral to insert it into your document.

Alternatively, you can use a keyboard shortcut to insert Roman numerals. Here's how:

1. Place your cursor where you want to insert the Roman numeral.
2. Press the "Alt" key and type the corresponding code for the Roman numeral you want to insert. For example, to insert "I", press "Alt" and type "73" on the numeric keypad. Here are the codes for the most commonly used Roman numerals:

- I: Alt + 73
- V: Alt + 86
- X: Alt + 88
- L: Alt + 76
- C: Alt + 67
- D: Alt + 68
- M: Alt + 77

That's it! You should now be able to insert Roman numerals into your Word document with ease.
__________________
JoAnn Paules - MVP Publisher

It's a capital I or V or X or a combination of those.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Publisher

"J.Duncan" wrote:

I don't know how to insert a roman numeral in the text of a Word document. I
figured it would be in symbols but it is not.

Jay Freedman

Actually, any field that displays a number can be made to display it
in roman numerals by including the \*Roman switch (or \*roman for
lower-case). For example, to show the year 1996 in upper case, use a
formula field with the code

{ = 1996 \*Roman }

When updated, it displays MCMXCVI.

This switch is most often used in a {PAGE} field to number
frontmatter.
--
Regards,
Jay Freedman