IslandKatz IslandKatz is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy Spell Checker is missing words

I've searched this forum for an answer to my specific question and have had no luck.

I have a 350-page book that I'm editing, and even though I have no options selected to ignore words in caps or words with numbers in them, Word's spell checker is missing things. Just ordinary words. I don't have Word set to ignore anything at all - I want to see everything that it finds. Only, it finds some words and not others. I even tried to find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared\Tools\ Proofing Tools\1.0\Override to see if that was the problem, and it didn't exist on my machine.

I need to know if there is any other spell checking tool that is not part of Word or any Microsoft applications/tools that anyone has had success with. I even downloaded some spell checking software that was supposed to be the cat's PJs with Word docs (Ginger spell checker), only Word wouldn't even open while the software was on my computer, so I had to uninstall it.

I'm really disgusted with Word's spell checker and cannot trust it. And reading a 350-page document over and over looking for errors gets really old. My eyes miss things. That's what spell checker is supposed to be for. I'm on the third edition of this book, and it's really embarrassing.

Thanks in advance,
IslandKatz
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Spell Checker is missing words

Take a look at http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/MasterSpellCheck.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[quote='Stefan Blom[_3_];492285']Take a look at http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/MasterSpellCheck.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Thank you very much for that link Stefan. I appreciate you taking the time to read my request and to reply. : )

I suppose I should also have included in my opening post that I have used Word since the 1990s - it's been my primary tool as a technical writer and editor, many of those years producing documents for Microsoft. I was always perfectly satisfied with Word's spell check - it worked beautifully. The people I produced documents and books for were always pleased with them. But in the last couple of years, spell check has failed, missing random words that do not have any non-typical characteristics (all caps, or combined upper-and-lower-case, words with numbers, web addresses, etc.), and I don't know why. I only know that I've lost confidence in it since the current 350-page book has gone to press for three editions now and it still has errors. This is why I'm specifically seeking an exceptional and proven tool for spell checking that is not associated with Word. My publisher has requested that this be done. With that said, can anyone recommend a non-Word tool that is stellarly reliable?

Thanks much!
IslandKatz
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I would have thought that contextual spellchecking had *improved* the
spellchecker. I certainly haven't seen any reports that it has grown
radically worse.

Do you see any error messages?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

If words are being missed, the strong likelihood is that those words are
formatted as "Do not check spelling or grammar." As explained in the
referenced article, such language settings can apply to as little as a
single character or space and are frequently introduced by pasting from
another document or the Web. Once introduced into a document, the formatting
can be propagated by typing when the insertion point is in a position with
that formatting.

http://word.mvps.org

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
[...]

Smile

Hello again,

I didn't receive any error messages, and the words that are being missed are not formatted any differently than the rest of the words in the text. They weren't pasted from any other document or from the Web - just normal words that were typed along with all the rest as I was writing the document.

For example, spell check did not catch the word "botte" instead of "bottle", or the word "follwing" instead of "following". Neither of those misspelled words are correct in English, and my Word setup is for English only. And yet, those and other words were simply not found at all by spell check. It also didn't find contextual issues, such as "Place the completed form in your binder in." And "clues that you can easily drawn upon."

This is why I'm still hoping for some other tool to use to check the spelling. I can't really use an online checker because those tools are only for checking, at most, a few pages. Not the 350 that I need to check.

Thanks again!
IslandKatz

Stefan wrote:
I would have thought that contextual spellchecking had *improved* the
spellchecker. I certainly haven't seen any reports that it has grown
radically worse.

Do you see any error messages?

Suzanne wrote: If words are being missed, the strong likelihood is that those words are formatted as "Do not check spelling or grammar." As explained in the referenced article, such language settings can apply to as little as a single character or space and are frequently introduced by pasting from another document or the Web. Once introduced into a document, the formatting can be propagated by typing when the insertion point is in a position with that formatting.