Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
heavytull

Default Table of contents

Hello,

I'm struggling hopelessly!!! I did a document in which everyting is
formatted as Normal
all titles are numbered using the Word format which is
1
1.1
1.1.2
2.2.1

when I see in Cross-reference all numbers and related titles appear,
but there is noway to get the Map or the table of contents!!!

and morover each time It writes any error message on the doc it puts
the number 1. as if I added a new content and all the rest of the
numbers are delayed!

--
heavytull
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi heavytull

heavytull wrote:
I'm struggling hopelessly!!! I did a document in which everyting is
formatted as Normal all titles are numbered using the Word format which is
1
1.1
1.1.2
2.2.1

If you did all that in "Normal" style, it's not a big surpise if you're
struggling!!

when I see in Cross-reference all numbers and related titles appear,
but there is noway to get the Map or the table of contents!!!

The document Map, as the TOC, pulls information from the level setting
of each paragraph. Since all your paragraphs are in "Normal" style, they
all are in level "Bodytext". If you want to create a TOC, you either

- use Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. to markup your headings
- use your own custom styles with the correct outline level
- apply the level as direct formatting to all headings (not a very
bright idea, but it would work, too)
- use TC-fields to identify TOC-entries independent of the outline headings

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS