Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Deedo Deedo is offline

Default Suppressing blank lines

HI there,

I'm having problems suppressing blank lines in a mailing label Word doc
(drawing on data from Excel). The option is ticked to suppress the blank
line where no data exists but it still keeps appearing blank. I've never had
this problem in Word 03. I have read through the threads and can't get my
ahead around how to do this using these (what looks like to me as complex)
commands. Isn't there a simple way of ensuring that the lines are suppressed
without having to go through this? Bring back Word 03 - that's what I say!

Tks in advance for any help.
--
Deirdre
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Nothing much has changed - the mailmerge helper from Word 2000 is even still
available to add to the QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) However it can be (and
was in 2003) a bit hit or miss whether blank lines were suppressed. It is
not going to be hot nor miss if you use conditional fields to insert the
fields and the line breaks. Once you understand the principles it is
simplicity itself to add fields by hand. The main thing to remember is to
use CTRL+F9 for all the field bracket pairss {} Thus

{Mergefield fieldname}{If { Mergefield Field2} "" "¶
{Mergefield Field2}"}{If { Mergefield Field3} "" "¶
{Mergefield Field3}"}{If { Mergefield Field4} "" "¶
{Mergefield Field4}"}

Press 'enter' only where you see ¶ and note the quotes and of course use the
fieldnames from your data source.
The field and the line breaks are then only entered when the field has
content. If gaps are still present then the fields are not empty.

See http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm