Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sarah Peters Sarah Peters is offline

Default Word 2007 Macro fails to record Mail Merge key strokes(mouse commands)

I initiated the recording of a new Macro in Word 2007 (recording the actions of the mouse) from the Developer Tab in an existing mail merge document with an Excel 2007 spreadsheet as its database source:
1. Replace the title text of the document
2. Select "Mailings" Tab
3. Select "Edit Recipient LIst"
4. Select "Filter"
5. Enter Query based on name field
6. OK

The Macro Recorder fails to record steps 2-6:

I looked up the macro in the Visual Basic editor and these commands are not listed in the macro. Only step one is listed.

I also tried reversing the order, doing all the mail merge steps first then the text change. I got the same result. The Macro recorder is ignoring all the steps involving the Mail Merge query commands.

The macro recorder in Word 2000 used to do this. Why can't I do this in Word 2007?

WPF And The Model View View Model Pattern
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...l-view-vi.aspx
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Only the developers really know why some things record and others do
not, and here you're talking to volunteers who do not work for Microsoft.

However, because Microsoft clearly intended/intends to try to steer
people towards using the .NET programming environment and away from VBA,
a lot of newer stuff doesn't record, at least not in a particularly
helpful way. Since the Edit Recipients dialog is a whole new dialog box
in Word 2007, I guess the developers decided not to record what it
actually did (whereas, for example, Select Mail Merge Data Source still
records)

I wouldn't in any case recard the macro recorder as recording "the
actions of the mouse" - it's more like "actions that result in some
chenge to the document". So I wouldn't expect (2) to record on its own,
for example. But yes, the commands after that would have recorded in Wrd
2000.

You can get recording of the filter back again by reverting to the old
Mail Merge Helper that you are probably used to from Word 2000 - go to
Word Office Button-Word Options-Customize, pick "All commands" in the
dropdown, locate Mail Merge Helper, and drag it so that it will appear
on the Quick Access Toolbar. Switch on recording and make the change via
that command and you will probably be OK. However, in the past I have
noticed difference sin the way that Word's different "Query Options"
dialog boxes behave, so it may not even be a particularly good workaround.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk
Visit Londinium at http://www.ralphwatson.tv