Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wes Wes is offline

Default Reset to default printer between print jobs

I have a user that occasionally needs to send a print job somewhere other
than the default printer. At that point Word remembers his last used printer
but he does not and he ends up "losing" his print jobs by sending them to the
wrong printer.

Is there any way to force Word to always select the default printer when the
Print dialog is open, even if the last print job went to a different printer?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Yandl Steve Yandl is offline

Wes,

Not quite the solution you asked for but it might accomplish the same thing.
Below is a subroutine I use when I want to send a print job to my color
printer rather than the default that is a black and white laser. The
default printer stays the same, even though I accomplish the print job on a
non default printer.

________________________________

Sub PrintToColorPrinter()
Dim strColorPrinter As String

strColorPrinter = "hp psc 2500 series"

With Dialogs(wdDialogFilePrintSetup)
.Printer = strColorPrinter
.DoNotSetAsSysDefault = True
.Execute
End With

ActiveDocument.PrintOut

End Sub

_________________________________

Steve Yandl

"Wes" wrote in message
I have a user that occasionally needs to send a print job somewhere other
than the default printer. At that point Word remembers his last used
printer
but he does not and he ends up "losing" his print jobs by sending them to
the
wrong printer.

Is there any way to force Word to always select the default printer when
the
Print dialog is open, even if the last print job went to a different
printer?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wes Wes is offline

A macro is a possibility, but he has a few different non-default printers
that he may send to for various reasons (color, number of pages, finishing)
so he'd need four or more subroutines/buttons for this.

Is there any event available when a print command is executed that can reset
the selected printer back to the default. I'm hoping there is an OnPrint
event similar to an OnClick. I don't mind having a subroutine run everytime
he clicks the print buttons as long as it is invisible to the user.

I'll think I'll post this in a VBA community as well.

Thanks,

By the way, Graham I appreciate the attempt but my office internet filter
blocks your website. If you can paste your response here it would be much
appreciated.

"Wes" wrote in message
I have a user that occasionally needs to send a print job somewhere other
than the default printer. At that point Word remembers his last used
printer
but he does not and he ends up "losing" his print jobs by sending them to
the
wrong printer.

Is there any way to force Word to always select the default printer when
the
Print dialog is open, even if the last print job went to a different
printer?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Yandl Steve Yandl is offline

Wes,

If your user has Word 2000 or later, bring up help in a VBE window and enter
the term DocumentBeforePrint.

Steve

"Wes" wrote in message
I have a user that occasionally needs to send a print job somewhere
other
than the default printer. At that point Word remembers his last used
printer
but he does not and he ends up "losing" his print jobs by sending them
wrong printer.

Is there any way to force Word to always select the default printer
when
the
Print dialog is open, even if the last print job went to a different
printer?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wes Wes is offline

DocumentBeforePrint did not show up in my VBE help. However, thank you very
much for your feedback.

A post in the VBA group answered the question perfectly. Here is the code.

Sub FilePrint()

Dim strPrinter As String

strPrinter = Application.ActivePrinter

Dialogs(wdDialogFilePrint).Show

With Dialogs(wdDialogFilePrintSetup)
.Printer = strPrinter

"Wes" wrote in message
I have a user that occasionally needs to send a print job somewhere
other
than the default printer. At that point Word remembers his last used
printer
but he does not and he ends up "losing" his print jobs by sending them
wrong printer.

Is there any way to force Word to always select the default printer
when
the
Print dialog is open, even if the last print job went to a different
printer?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
robot robot is offline

I have fix my problem it had some paper jammed kn the paper tray in the back
of the printer.

Thank you.