Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stephenmg Stephenmg is offline

Default Master TOC connecting 20 other large documents

I'm currently in the process of formatting a large set of documentation
consisting of 4 books each divided into 5 parts then each part divided into 6
sections. This is a Technical system design manual. I would like to know how
the easiest way to connect all the parts to a master TOC with hyperlinks to
each section. Is this achievable without too much bother?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Stephen.

Word has just the tools for this, in the form of the TOC and RD fields. You'll find them under Insert|Field.

The TOC field is, as the acronym suggests, a Table of Contents field.

The RD (Reference Document) field is used to provide the TOC field with references to other documents.

The only thing tricky about RD fields is that you need to insert the path to the external documents using '\\' or '/' instead of '\'
for the path separator, and you should normally enclose the path is double quotes ( eg: RD "C:\\My Documents\\Design Manual\\Chapter
1.doc."). You insert one RD field per external document - you can't reference multiple documents with the one field.

The TOC field should be inserted before the RD fields.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]