Eric

Default how to auto refresh total amount in table

Hi.
I have added a table on a document and added a field at the last row to
sum-up a column values as total amount. Everytime I change the values within
the column, I need to use the mouse to right-click or press F9 to refresh the
total amount field.
Is there any function that can refresh the total amount field automatically
without press any key? Because the users don't want to press or click any key
when changing values within the table.
Thank you very much.
Rick

Word does not support automatic calculations of forumulas in tables. If the
users have Excel installed, you could use an embedded Excel object instead.
That, of course, would calculate automatically. At least, that's what
Microsoft wants you to do. Personally, I find compound documents like that
to be a bit tiresome.

If the users have the "Update Fields" option turned on (Tools | Options |
Print), the fields would get automatically updated on the print event but
not before.

You could always include a macro in the template that loops through all of
the stories in the document and updates the fields. Then, you could put a
button somewhere to "Recalculate" ... but the users would still need to take
an action. It's possible to have it run automatically on the DocumentOpen or
Close events but I suspect they need the recalc to happen in real time.

Your best bet may be to make the document a Form. The variable values in the
table would be FormFields where the user types in new values. The FormField
has a property called "Calculate on exit". This would recalculate all fields
and formulas when the user leaves the value field (including your SUM
formula).