Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
rae

Default Unwanted Print Area Setting

Inconsistently, and in different documents (sometimes old ones, sometimes new
ones), Word wants to force a bottom margin of 2.67 inches. If I go into Page
Layout to change a setting, when I click OK, I get the following error
message: €œOne or more margins are set outside the printable area of the page.
Choose the Fix button to increase the appropriate margins.€ If I choose Fix,
the bottom margin changes to 2.67€. If I choose Ignore, the bottom 2.67
inches of my pages does not show in Print Preview and does not print. If I
exit and relaunch the program, the bottom margin returns to 1€. This seems to
happen only when I have more than one document open at a time. How is print
area set? Is this a printer-driver problem? I print to several different
network printers, but most often to an HP LaserJet 4050 TN. This has our IT
techs stumped.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

That specific margin setting usually points to a conflict between some
versions of Word and the HP drivers for certain LaserJet printers. Although
numerous workarounds have been posted (including using the Windows driver
instead, though that may make some proprietary features unavailable), most
users report success from using the drivers available from
http://www.hp.com/pond/ljbeta/index.html

"rae" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
rae

Thank you. Unfortunately, a fix for this problem apparently is not available
for my printer (LJ 4050) and OS (WinXP). But I will pursue it with HP.

"rae" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If there is any driver available for your printer, give it a whirl. Or use a
driver for a similar (4000-series) printer.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

That specific margin setting usually points to a conflict between some
versions of Word and the HP drivers for certain LaserJet printers.

Although
numerous workarounds have been posted (including using the Windows

driver
instead, though that may make some proprietary features unavailable),

most
users report success from using the drivers available from
http://www.hp.com/pond/ljbeta/index.html

newsgroup so
all may benefit.