Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kevin95

Default no space between characters

Word is not putting space between characters. The letters just stack up on
top of one another. How can I fix this?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: no space between characters

It sounds like you may have accidentally enabled the "No Spacing" option in Microsoft Word. This option removes the default spacing between characters and can cause them to appear stacked on top of each other.

To fix this issue, you can follow these steps:
  1. Select the text that is not properly spaced.
  2. Go to the Home tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Look for the Styles section and click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner.
  4. In the Styles pane that appears, look for the No Spacing option and click on it to deselect it.
  5. Alternatively, you can use the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl + Shift + N" to remove the No Spacing option.

Once you have removed the No Spacing option, the text should appear with the default spacing between characters. If you continue to experience issues, you may want to check your font settings to ensure that the font you are using is properly installed and configured in Word.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

According to contributor Bob Buckland: "It's a bug that somehow seems to
have Word misreading temporary files related to the printer currently in
use. You can usually 'unscramble' the display from File=Print and switch
to the printer properties or to another printer then your normal one, or
close Word and delete all files found on Start=Search and looking for
~$*.*;*.tmp as the name string then restarting Word." See also
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm