Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sara Stilley Sara Stilley is offline

Default data selected but not showing on merged document

I am using Microsoft 2003. Simply, I am creating slips of paper to put in
books, the data source is an excell file. The form is in Word using a table 5
columns wide by 1. I usually pick and choose data from the source by
"checking" the box. but some entries fail to appear when I merge the data to
a new document. I have done a screen capture to prove this, but I don't know
how to attach it to this. If anyone needs to see this I would be happy to
send it along.

Also, sometimes, using all the same forms and data I will make a long run of
the slips, say 500 entries, the new document merges just fine, but when I
print it just stops several pages in. I have printed larger documents so the
buffer is not being taxed. When I go into the same document and tell it to
print pages 5-10 or 5-6, it just does nothing, but if I print current page
it will print just fine.

I am totally perplexed on both these issues, please help if you can. Or
point me in a better dirrection.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I am not sure about the first issue as I have never used it. In preference,
I would add a column to the spreadsheet into which I would insert a
character for the records that I desired to merge and then sort on that
column so that all of those records are together and then merge just that
number of records.

Re the second issue, what sort of main document are you using? If it is a
formletter type main document, then the resulting document will have the
data for each record in a separate Section (think InsertBreakSection) in
the document that is created. As a result, to print the data for specific
records, you need to specify the Sections rather than the pages.

For example

s1, s4-s7, s9

Will print the pages containing the data from the first, fourth, fifth,
sixth, seventh and ninth records.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.