Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Closed Office[_2_] Closed Office[_2_] is offline

Default wants to capitalize the first letter in the first word of every li

I have even turned off the "capitalize first word of sentence" to try to get
rid of this but it is still following me around. There is a green sawtooth
line under the first word of each line. On some docs it is the first word of
every line that isn't capitalized already, on others it is just a few random
first words.

When I rt click on it, it wants to capitalize the first word of a sentence.

And just to add a general comment, this whole word program is just way too
complicated and way more than I need. I spend a lot of time straightening out
things it wants to do and I don't. I had a Mac and did not fall in love with
it. It was a bit of a lemon, but one thing I really liked about it was
TextEdit, a simple word processing program that did everything I needed. When
I did have it, I really did not need word and never even thought of getting
it.

Pardon the grouch, but it is getting to be a pain.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word wouldn't want to capitalize the first word of every line if it were not
the beginning of a paragraph. It assumes that the beginning of a paragraph
is also the beginning of a sentence. If you don't want to start a new
paragraph, then don't press Enter. Either let the line wrap naturally or, if
you must start a new line before it wraps, use a line break (Shift+Enter)
instead. And if you don't want to see the green squiggles, turn off "Check
grammar as you type."

http://word.mvps.org

"Closed Office" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Closed Office[_2_] Closed Office[_2_] is offline

Default wants to capitalize the first letter in the first word of ever

I'm not at all a big fan of white space and don't hit enter until I am at the
end of a paragraph, usually about 4 or 5 lines for me. That is always before
the start of a new paragraph and I always do capitalize that. The Word urge
to capitalize does happen on lines started by regular word wrap. I don't
quite want to turn off the check grammar feature because I do get useful
suggestions from it that I do appreciate.

I do appreciate that the possibility was worth checking out though. Thanks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You really should not be getting that AutoCorrect or grammar hints if you're
letting lines wrap naturally. If you are, then this is a bug that should be
reported and investigated.

http://word.mvps.org

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Capitalizing the first word of a line after a word wrap is definitely
not normal. What happens if you add or subtract some words from the
previous line, so that a different word starts the next wrapped line?

Are you doing something _else_ before Word does the capitalizing
thing, such as ending a word (or abbreviation) with a period?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Closed Office[_2_] Closed Office[_2_] is offline

OK, sorry I have to apologize. Two of you were right. I just went through a
few docs to double check and it isn't happening with natural organic word
wrap. The one docx I found with that happening was an article I had pasted
with lines that were not full length. I guess they had been ended by hitting
enter.

I might be wrong again but I thought it was happening when I was typing
without hitting enter, at least sometimes. I am a bit wrecked and don't get a
day off until Tuesday, so won't get into work with Word until then.

But is there a way to stop Word from wanting to capitalize the shorter
lines? I don't understand why that is happening.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Closed Office[_2_] Closed Office[_2_] is offline

And just to add a bit of info. I wondered just briefly today while I was
running around, why enter would be the start of a paragraph instead of a line
break. I have single line spacing set up so I have to hit enter twice. It
took until about 10 minutes after I went to bed before I realized that most
people don't have it set up that way. So the first reply did answer my
question, use shift + enter.

I heard someone say one time "Our brain has a 3 position switch, smart,
neutral, and stupid. Sometimes it just gets stuck on stupid." It explained
whole days of my life to me, and this might have been one of them. So thanks
for the help. One more little thing is finally adjusted.

That was a lot of typing. I'm going to run back into the office, slam the
door and pour a double brandy.

Thanks and best wishes,
closed
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The "capitalize first word of sentence" you mention in your first
message should take care of it -- if you're using documents that you
didn't create from your own template where you turned it off, it's
probably still turned on in them, and you can go in and fix it
individually.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That setting is global, however, so it will affect all new documents, and
changing it will have no effect on existing documents.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That's what I said ... "go in and fix it individually."

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
You really should not be getting that AutoCorrect or grammar hints if
you're
letting lines wrap naturally. If you are, then this is a bug that should
be
reported and investigated.

http://word.mvps.org

"Closed Office" wrote in
message
news I'm not at all a big fan of white space and don't hit enter until I am

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

My point is that you can't "turn it off" in a specific template. You said,
"your own template where you turned it off." The setting is either on or off
for the entire application at any given time.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sounds like you're talking now about the grammar checker. I certainly never
have that enabled, but I do have the setting to capitalize the first letter
of sentences enabled. I don't often need it, but occasionally the auto
correction is handy since my use of the Shift key can be erratic (or the
Shift key on my keyboard is funky, or something).

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I meant the Capitalize First Word option -- because it does it after
abbreviations, and unless you tell it all the abbreviations you might
use, you have to undo it -- if you happen to notice it when it happens
rather than days later when you go back and read what you wrote. (I
also don't want it to capitalize i, of course!)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In general I find it more helpful than not, though I'll grant you have to
keep your eye on it; that's relatively easy for me because I watch the
screen while I'm typing. When I'm working on specific projects where it
would be unbearable (such as a dictionary, where every paragraph begins with
an uncapitalized word), then I turn it off.

http://word.mvps.org