Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony K Tony K is offline

Default How do I anchor text in a word document

I want to position text in a specific location of my document. I don't want
it to move when others are editing other text in the document.

Example: I would like an address located at the same position so that when
the page is folded to insert it in an envelope the address is located to be
viewed through the envelope. When others are editing the document I want that
address text to remain in the same location.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
salty salty is offline

Create a text box
Right click on Text box border | Format Text box...
Layout | Advanced
Picture Position Tab
Horizontal | Absolute Position | to the right of | Select Page
Vertical | Absolute Position | below | Select Page

This will lock your text box in the position on the page no matter how
the text is edited on the rest of the page.

Happy2Help
Conrad

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Not completely accurate... the fact is that an object *cannot* be anchored
to a page in Word because Word has no physical page structure.

The steps described are as close as you can get, but the absolute
positioning on the page pertains to the "page" containing the *paragraph* to
which the object is anchored. As long as that text is on the same page the
object will stay put, but if that para flows to a different page the object
will go with it and assume a possition on *that* page based on the Picture
Position settings.

To the OP: If possible you really should do this sort of fixed layout
work in a program that supports it, such as Publisher. Even in Word there
are other approaches that probably will work better if you supply more
detail on what your overall objective is.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"salty" wrote in message
ps.com...
Create a text box
Right click on Text box border | Format Text box...
Layout | Advanced
Picture Position Tab
Horizontal | Absolute Position | to the right of | Select Page
Vertical | Absolute Position | below | Select Page

This will lock your text box in the position on the page no matter how
the text is edited on the rest of the page.

Happy2Help
Conrad

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony K Tony K is offline

The overall objective is to have the address positioned as such, that when
the document is edited the address stays in the same location. Then when the
document is printed it is folded and the mailing address is visible through
the envelope. That is all we want to accomplish.

Thanks for the suggestions!

"salty" wrote in message
ps.com...
Create a text box
Right click on Text box border | Format Text box...
Layout | Advanced
Picture Position Tab
Horizontal | Absolute Position | to the right of | Select Page
Vertical | Absolute Position | below | Select Page

This will lock your text box in the position on the page no matter how
the text is edited on the rest of the page.

Happy2Help
Conrad

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

In File Page Setup Layout, check "Different first page". That will
create a separate first-page header (and footer). Place the cursor in the
first-page header and then use Insert Text Box to create the address area.
It may not be intuitively obvious, but the text box doesn't have to be
within the header area; you can position it anywhere on the page. Because
it's anchored in the first-page header, it won't be repeated on any other
pages.

It shouldn't matter in this setup whether the box is set to absolute or
relative positioning. If it's relative, it will be relative to the
first-page header paragraph, which isn't going to move anyway.

See the section "Letterhead for a multi-page letter" in
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm for steps to deal with the
other-page header if you need that.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"salty" wrote in message
ps.com...
Create a text box
Right click on Text box border | Format Text box...
Layout | Advanced
Picture Position Tab
Horizontal | Absolute Position | to the right of | Select Page
Vertical | Absolute Position | below | Select Page

This will lock your text box in the position on the page no matter
how the text is edited on the rest of the page.

Happy2Help
Conrad

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

To expand on Jay's suggestion, apply "Top & Bottom" or "Square" Text Wraping
to the text box (or another style if appropriate) to prevent the added
content from overprinting the box. One drawback is that if the user also
needs to enter the address info they will have to access the Header/Footer
to do so. That leaves the door open for them to change anything about the
text box, including its positioning.

If you need to do this regularly it might be worth setting up a
Form/Template. If not familiar with them you might take a look at ;

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm

As well as the links to Dian Chapman's web site.
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
[...]

so all may benefit.

"salty" wrote in message
ps.com...
Create a text box
Right click on Text box border | Format Text box...
Layout | Advanced
Picture Position Tab
Horizontal | Absolute Position | to the right of | Select Page
Vertical | Absolute Position | below | Select Page

This will lock your text box in the position on the page no matter
how the text is edited on the rest of the page.

Happy2Help
Conrad

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If the addressee information is the first thing on the page (outside the
heading) then it can be positioned with unique paragraph styles and document
editing will not change that position. However, you can always rely on a
user to screw anything up

"salty" wrote in message
ps.com...
Create a text box
Right click on Text box border | Format Text box...
Layout | Advanced
Picture Position Tab
Horizontal | Absolute Position | to the right of | Select Page
Vertical | Absolute Position | below | Select Page

This will lock your text box in the position on the page no matter
how the text is edited on the rest of the page.

Happy2Help
Conrad

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Victor Petersen Victor Petersen is offline

"salty" wrote in message
Create a text box
Right click on Text box border | Format Text box...
Layout | Advanced
Picture Position Tab
Horizontal | Absolute Position | to the right of | Select Page
Vertical | Absolute Position | below | Select Page

This will lock your text box in the position on the page no matter how
the text is edited on the rest of the page.

Happy2Help
Conrad

Where do you get off?

ralphietamesis ralphietamesis is offline
Junior Member

Word unscrambler online tool created to help you learn, win game with friends, and have fun.
https://wordunscramble.co

Play world of solitaire for free online without download, install, or register.
Website: https://worldofsolitaires.co

2048 cupcakes for free online: https://2048cupcakes.co
MonkaES MonkaES is offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty View Post
Create a text box
Right click on Text box border | Format Text box...
Layout | Advanced
Picture Position Tab
Horizontal | Absolute Position | to the right of | Select Page
Vertical | Absolute Position | below | Select Page

This will lock your text box in the position on the page no matter how
the text is edited on the rest of the page.

Happy2Help
Conrad
wow This will lock your text box