711

Default Design Mode box in Word

I created check boxes in a Word 2002 document. Everytime I open the file, the
Design Mode box appears in the bottom corner of the screen. I want people to
be able to automatically check the appropriate box without having to explain
to them how to close the Design Mode box. Right now if they try and click on
any of the boxes, it treats it as if it's being edited. How can I get the
Design Mode box to not appear everytime the file is opened? Please help.
Thank you.
CyberTaz

Hi 711-

It sounds like the template (it is saved as a template file, right?) your
form is based on had the Design Mode feature active the last time it was
saved. You need to re-open the original file, close the Design Mode Toolbar,
then close & save the template.

Hope this helps|:)

"711" wrote:

I created check boxes in a Word 2002 document. Everytime I open the file, the
Design Mode box appears in the bottom corner of the screen. I want people to
be able to automatically check the appropriate box without having to explain
to them how to close the Design Mode box. Right now if they try and click on
any of the boxes, it treats it as if it's being edited. How can I get the
Design Mode box to not appear everytime the file is opened? Please help.
Thank you.

Pat Garard

G'Day 711,

Start Word
Open the document
Ignore the toolbar
ALT+F11 to switch to VBA

You will find that the "Design Mode" button on the toolbar
has been left depressed. Click to "un-press" it, close VBA
and save the document.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"711" wrote in message
I created check boxes in a Word 2002 document. Everytime I open the file,
the
Design Mode box appears in the bottom corner of the screen. I want people
be able to automatically check the appropriate box without having to
explain
to them how to close the Design Mode box. Right now if they try and click
on
any of the boxes, it treats it as if it's being edited. How can I get the
Design Mode box to not appear everytime the file is opened? Please help.
Thank you.

Jay Freedman

711 wrote:
I created check boxes in a Word 2002 document. Everytime I open the
file, the Design Mode box appears in the bottom corner of the screen.
I want people to be able to automatically check the appropriate box
without having to explain to them how to close the Design Mode box.
Right now if they try and click on any of the boxes, it treats it as
if it's being edited. How can I get the Design Mode box to not appear
everytime the file is opened? Please help. Thank you.

The Design Mode box pops up whenever you open a document containing Control
Toolbox controls on a copy of Word where the macro security level is set to
High. That disables the controls.

You can set the level to Medium in Tools Macro Security, and click the
Enable button in the warning dialog each time you open the document. You
can't control what other people will have their levels set to.

It's my understanding that you can digitally sign the document, and then
each user will have to accept your certificate once, after which the
controls should work despite a High level. I haven't tried this, mainly
because digital certificates cost big bucks.

If all you need in the way of controls is checkboxes, see
http://www.addbalance.com/word/downl...#CheckboxAddIn for a different
kind that doesn't have this problem.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

711

Thanks Pat,
But when I tried that, it said that "the macros in this project are
disabled". This template was one that I modified from MS's downloadable
templates.
Any suggestions??
Thank you.

"711" wrote in message
I created check boxes in a Word 2002 document. Everytime I open the file,
the
Design Mode box appears in the bottom corner of the screen. I want people
be able to automatically check the appropriate box without having to
explain
to them how to close the Design Mode box. Right now if they try and click
on
any of the boxes, it treats it as if it's being edited. How can I get the
Design Mode box to not appear everytime the file is opened? Please help.
Thank you.

Pat Garard

G'Day again 711,

Please see Jay's response