Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MD MD is offline

Default Applying a custom template to existing document

Hi there,
I am having trouble applying a custom template to an existing document in
Word 2003 Pro. I did it the first time successfully using ToosTemplates
andAdd insAttach{custom template.dot} (making sure that the template is
alsolisted and checked in the "Checked items are currently loaded" box.
However, that was the only time it worked. Now, every time I try to attach
the template to any of the documents, it does not seem to "stick" and the
styles are not visible at all in the Styles and Formatting box (I tried
viewing it inCustom/All Styles/Available Styles, etc., to no avail).

The only way that I can get my custom styles to show is to check off the
box"Automatically update document styles", but doing this creates such a mess
of the document that it's more work to clean than is worth it.

Can anyone advise as to what I may be doing wrong and how I can get my
custom template styles to apply and show in the styles and formatting bar?
Any help would be very much appreciated; it's driving me crazy!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm not sure what the problem could be, but have you tried the opposite
approach--that is, creating a new document based on the template and then
inserting the existing document via Insert | File?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"MD" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MD MD is offline

Thank you Stefan, that does the trick. The styles are now listed in the
formatting toolbar and now I can go through and apply them.

Appreciate the help!

"MD" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome--and thank you for the feedback.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP