Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MarkS MarkS is offline

Default 'Trusted Templates'?

I am trying to save a template in Word 2007, but when I click the Office
button and go to the 'Save As...' menu, I do not see a 'Trusted Templates'
link at all. Is this a limitation of Office Home and Student 2007? Or is
it a problem with the installation?

Thanks,

MarkS

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:01:16 -0300, "MarkS"
wrote:

I am trying to save a template in Word 2007, but when I click the Office
button and go to the 'Save As...' menu, I do not see a 'Trusted Templates'
link at all. Is this a limitation of Office Home and Student 2007? Or is
it a problem with the installation?

It's neither a limitation nor an installation problem. It's just that
Microsoft, for whatever reason, didn't put a link for it on the
default Places Bar (the vertical strip of icons on the left side of
the dialog). You have to add it yourself, using the procedure at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826214.

I'm also bemused that Word 2007's Save As, unlike every earlier
version of Word, doesn't automatically switch the current folder to
the Templates location when you go to save a template; it leaves you
in the My Documents folder or whatever other folder was last used. I'd
consider that a bug.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Sure, add it to the list.

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:49:11 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

I'd call that a bug, too. Should we escalate this and get it fixed for the
next version?

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Been there, filed that, supplied compelling arguments (to more than one
softie), nada. This one is indeed "By design". They deliberately changed the
behavior.

I actually kinda like the new method now. It's a very handy way to access
your User Templates and other files in your profile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

wrote:

I'd call that a bug, too. Should we escalate this and get it fixed for the
next version?

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
. ..
I'm also bemused that Word 2007's Save As, unlike every earlier
version of Word, doesn't automatically switch the current folder to
the Templates location when you go to save a template; it leaves you
in the My Documents folder or whatever other folder was last used. I'd
consider that a bug.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I already have my Templates folder on the Places Bar (Word 2003), and for me
that's handy, but for the run-of-the-mill user, it was a great convenience
to have Word default to the designated user templates folder when *.dot was
selected as the file type.

wrote:

I'd call that a bug, too. Should we escalate this and get it fixed for

the
next version?

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
. ..
I'm also bemused that Word 2007's Save As, unlike every earlier
version of Word, doesn't automatically switch the current folder to
the Templates location when you go to save a template; it leaves you
in the My Documents folder or whatever other folder was last used. I'd
consider that a bug.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MarkS MarkS is offline

For some reason my message can't seem to get through.

Anyways, I found out (after posting to Channel9) that the folder was listed
in the favourite links section of the dialog box. I never noticed it
because I normally do not look in the section of the dialog. Perhaps there
is a way to make it more prominent, like having a link in the Office Menu,
that when you have a template open (new or editing) that says "Save
template..." and it'll automatically go to that folder when it is clicked.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

What do you mean they didn't include a link? Trusted Templates is in the
Places Bar for Windows XP and Templates is there for Windows Vista. Both of
which take you to your User Templates folder.