Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Default AutoText in IF Fields

I can create and autotext entry that contains a functioning dropdown
field:

E.g., Do you like soup: Yes/No

I can insert the autotext using the menu and the dropdown field is
present and functional.
I can insert the autotext using a field e.g., {AutoText "myText" } and
the dropdown field is present and functional. However, if I nest the
AutoText field in a conditional IF field, then the result displayed
does not contain the formfield part of the AT entry.

{If 1 = 1 {AutoText "myText"}""}
Do your like soup? "No formfield displayed"

Has anyone found a way to make this work?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You need to reverse the syntax - see the section
Conditionally Insert a graphical image
at http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm The same principle
applies.

Greg Maxey wrote:
I can create and autotext entry that contains a functioning dropdown
field:

E.g., Do you like soup: Yes/No

I can insert the autotext using the menu and the dropdown field is
present and functional.
I can insert the autotext using a field e.g., {AutoText "myText" } and
the dropdown field is present and functional. However, if I nest the
AutoText field in a conditional IF field, then the result displayed
does not contain the formfield part of the AT entry.

{If 1 = 1 {AutoText "myText"}""}
Do your like soup? "No formfield displayed"

Has anyone found a way to make this work?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Graham,

Clever, very clever. Thanks.

I jus spent a minute looking as it is just 0400. I was up for another
reason and checked for a replay. So I suppose to prevent an error you need
to have a second AutoText entry like a blank space or something to use if
the condition is false.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Greg Maxey wrote:
I can create and autotext entry that contains a functioning dropdown
field:

E.g., Do you like soup: Yes/No

I can insert the autotext using the menu and the dropdown field is
present and functional.
I can insert the autotext using a field e.g., {AutoText "myText" }
and the dropdown field is present and functional. However, if I
nest the AutoText field in a conditional IF field, then the result
displayed does not contain the formfield part of the AT entry.

{If 1 = 1 {AutoText "myText"}""}
Do your like soup? "No formfield displayed"

Has anyone found a way to make this work?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I know what you meant - I wondered why you weren't asleep like normal people

Greg Maxey wrote:
Yes 0400. You know 4:00 a.m.

Graham Mayor wrote:
Correct!
0400?

Greg Maxey wrote:
I can create and autotext entry that contains a functioning
dropdown field:

E.g., Do you like soup: Yes/No

I can insert the autotext using the menu and the dropdown field is
present and functional.
I can insert the autotext using a field e.g., {AutoText "myText" }
and the dropdown field is present and functional. However, if I
nest the AutoText field in a conditional IF field, then the result
displayed does not contain the formfield part of the AT entry.

{If 1 = 1 {AutoText "myText"}""}
Do your like soup? "No formfield displayed"

Has anyone found a way to make this work?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

I'll spare everyone else the details, but it seems that just the other
day we were discussing sleep and the things that interupt it with age
;-)

Your reverse logic works to insert the AutoText with a dropdown field,
but for some reason the field doesn't update to display the AT with the
dropdown with a
ActiveDocument.Fields.Update statement in an OnExit macro run from the
previous field (The gory details are in my post "Range Madness and
Other Frustrations" in the VBA group) also the nested formfield in the
AT is present and functional, but it isnt' included in the tab sequence
with the other formfields. :-(

Graham Mayor wrote:
I know what you meant - I wondered why you weren't asleep like normal people

Greg Maxey wrote:
Yes 0400. You know 4:00 a.m.

Graham Mayor wrote:
Correct!