monkey1964

Default Document with Section Breaks & Footers

I have been reading these posts, the word.mvps.org site, etc. and cannot
figure out my problem. I have a document with two sections. The first
section has a footer containing "Page 1 of 6", and the second section has a
blank footer. I have been able to get the second section to appear blank,
BUT my numbering in the first section shows "Page 1 of 7" instead of 6. I
only want it to count the pages in the first section, but it's counting the
2nd section as page 7.
Help!
garfield-n-odie

Press Alt+F9 to display field codes, change the { NUMPAGES } field in
the footer to a { SECTIONPAGES } field, and press Alt+F9 again to
display field results.

monkey1964 wrote:
I have been reading these posts, the word.mvps.org site, etc. and cannot
figure out my problem. I have a document with two sections. The first
section has a footer containing "Page 1 of 6", and the second section has a
blank footer. I have been able to get the second section to appear blank,
BUT my numbering in the first section shows "Page 1 of 7" instead of 6. I
only want it to count the pages in the first section, but it's counting the
2nd section as page 7.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
songinthedark songinthedark is offline

I did what you suggested but the SectionPages field keeps defaulting to a
total page count of 1 instead of 2. So my footers read "S1 of S1, S2 of S1".
I've updated the fields but it still comes out the same way.
Any suggestions?

monkey1964 wrote:
I have been reading these posts, the word.mvps.org site, etc. and cannot
figure out my problem. I have a document with two sections. The first
section has a footer containing "Page 1 of 6", and the second section has a
blank footer. I have been able to get the second section to appear blank,
BUT my numbering in the first section shows "Page 1 of 7" instead of 6. I
only want it to count the pages in the first section, but it's counting the
2nd section as page 7.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/PageXofY.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

monkey1964 wrote:
I have been reading these posts, the word.mvps.org site, etc. and
cannot
figure out my problem. I have a document with two sections. The first
section has a footer containing "Page 1 of 6", and the second section
has a
blank footer. I have been able to get the second section to appear
blank,
BUT my numbering in the first section shows "Page 1 of 7" instead of
6. I
only want it to count the pages in the first section, but it's counting
the
2nd section as page 7.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
songinthedark songinthedark is offline

Thanks. That problem is fixed.
I have another issue and I don't know if or how it can be done.
Example: I have a document with 19 pages with a need to be used for
different purposes.
There are two pages in section 1 with page numbering "X of 19".
There are 4 pages in section 2 with page numbering based on it's own section
pages "SX of S4".
Sections 3-5 have the remainder of the pages numbered like section 1 "X of
19".
I would like to be able to have sections 1 and 3-5 have the page numbering
say X of 15. The pages in section 2 will eventually be pulled out to be a
stand alone document. Sections 1, 3-5 will also remain together as a stand
alone document. And thirdly all sections (1-5) will remain together as a
document for a third purpose.
Is this possible? If so, how?

monkey1964 wrote:
I have been reading these posts, the word.mvps.org site, etc. and
cannot
figure out my problem. I have a document with two sections. The first
section has a footer containing "Page 1 of 6", and the second section
has a
blank footer. I have been able to get the second section to appear
blank,
BUT my numbering in the first section shows "Page 1 of 7" instead of
6. I
only want it to count the pages in the first section, but it's counting
the
2nd section as page 7.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"songinthedark" wrote:

Thanks. That problem is fixed.
I have another issue and I don't know if or how it can be done.
I have section 2 page numbering (Synopsis) set differently from the rest of the document so that it can be a standalone document as needed. I used SECTION PAGES field code to set it up with the numbering SX of SX.

Can I set up the Table of Contents page number for this section to include
this label "S"?
Currently it says:
1. Signature Page.....2
2. Synopsis..............1
3. ToC.....................3

I want it to say:
1. Signature Page.....2
2. Synopsis..............S1
3. ToC.....................3

monkey1964 wrote:
I have been reading these posts, the word.mvps.org site, etc. and
cannot
figure out my problem. I have a document with two sections. The first
section has a footer containing "Page 1 of 6", and the second section
has a
blank footer. I have been able to get the second section to appear
blank,
BUT my numbering in the first section shows "Page 1 of 7" instead of
6. I
only want it to count the pages in the first section, but it's counting
the
2nd section as page 7.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
perplexed perplexed is offline

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

This worked and was such a simple fix. I'd read other similar posts and the
suggestions didn't work. You are "MY HERO"!

monkey1964 wrote:
I have been reading these posts, the word.mvps.org site, etc. and cannot
figure out my problem. I have a document with two sections. The first
section has a footer containing "Page 1 of 6", and the second section has a
blank footer. I have been able to get the second section to appear blank,
BUT my numbering in the first section shows "Page 1 of 7" instead of 6. I
only want it to count the pages in the first section, but it's counting the
2nd section as page 7.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
perplexed perplexed is offline

New problem. . .
This fixed the problem so that I get page x of y for each separate section
IF I print one-sided pages; however, when I ask for double sided pages, it
prints out page x of x again. This happens no matter which printer I send it
to. Any thoughts?