Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nospam nospam is offline

Default 941 KB word file

I have a 941 KB word file, what program can I use to open this file?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

nospam, eh? Microsoft Word would be the obvious choice I think.
Depending on what version of Word was used to create the file and what
the Word file contains, you might also be able to use the free Microsoft
Word viewer (from the Microsoft website), or Wordpad (which comes with
Windows), or WordPerfect, or OpenOffice. 941 KB is not that big of a
file in the Word world. So is there more to this question that you're
not telling us, or are you just a lonely troll?

nospam wrote:

I have a 941 KB word file, what program can I use to open this file?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nospam nospam is offline

In article ,
says...

[snip]

So is there more to this question that you're
not telling us, or are you just a lonely troll?

I'm using Word 2003 and it won't open the file.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nospam nospam is offline

In article ,
says...

[snip]

I have a 941 KB word file, what program can I use to open this file?

Correction, the file is 941,953 KB.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

942MB, is a pretty large Word file. How on earth did it get that large?

According to this site:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211489

The maximum amount of text a Word document can contain is 32MB. However...
graphics can be larger than that.

Are you getting an error message when you try to open the file?

How was the file created?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"nospam" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

[snip]

I have a 941 KB word file, what program can I use to open this file?

Correction, the file is 941,953 KB.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

So, it's likely that it contains more than 32MB of text.

As garfield-n-odie suggested, you can try Microsoft's free Word viewer or
WordPad (which comes with Windows).

Interestingly enough, however... I just created an 80MB Word file --
containing just text -- and Word 2003 & 2007 both can open it. But when
opening it with WordPad, the text is garbled. So, I'm not optimistic that
WordPad will help.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"nospam" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

[snip]

Are you getting an error message when you try to open the file?

Yes, the error message is, "word cannot open the file because it is larger
than 32MB."

How was the file created?

It was downloaded from a thread in a message board.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nospam nospam is offline

In article ,
says...

[snip]

So, it's likely that it contains more than 32MB of text.

WordPad can't handle it either and there are no pics.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nospam nospam is offline

Anybody?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is clearly corrupt. Try downloading it again - and check the size before
you download it.

nospam wrote:
Anybody?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nospam nospam is offline

In article ,
says...

[snip]

It is clearly corrupt. Try downloading it again - and check the size before
you download it.

Unable to d/l again, I don't believe it's corrupt. The file is 941,953 KB.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well... since Word is giving you the "It's too darned big!" error message,
then I'm guessing you're out of luck, at least as far as using Word or
WordPad to try to open the file. My only other last-ditch suggestion would
be to see if a non-Microsoft product (something that supports the .doc
format) would be able to open it. If you have access to WordPerfect, that
would be something to try.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"nospam" wrote in message
In article ,

says...

[snip]

It is clearly corrupt. Try downloading it again - and check the size
before
you download it.

Unable to d/l again, I don't believe it's corrupt. The file is 941,953 KB.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What makes you think it isn't corrupt. You can't open it! 941,000 kb is
almost a gigabyte and not the 941kb of the subject line.

Word's maximum for text is 32 mb (32,000kb). Graphics can make that larger,
but all the implications are that this file is corrupt - if indeed it really
is a Word document - as 1gb seems impossibly large. You *may* be able to
examine it with a hex editor such as UltraEdit - but whether that will get
you any further is open to question.

nospam wrote:
In article ,
says...

[snip]

It is clearly corrupt. Try downloading it again - and check the size
before you download it.

Unable to d/l again, I don't believe it's corrupt. The file is
941,953 KB.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nospam nospam is offline

In article ,
says...

[snip]

What makes you think it isn't corrupt.

Because it was downloaded from a message board that is no longer open.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

How would that make it not corrupted?

The fact that it's almost 1GB -- well beyond the 32MB normal limit for Word
files (unless the file contains tons of graphics and 32MB of text) --
suggests to me that the file either is corrupted or isn't a Word file.

Chances are excellent that the file was NOT created by Word, since Word
can't create files that large. From a practical standpoint, you have three
choices: use some kind of text or hex editor that doesn't have any built-in
limitations on file size (I don't personally know of any such text or hex
editor, but I assume they exist), write a program to extract the text from
it, or wait a few years to see if the 64 Bit version of Word 14 will be able
to handle it.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible