Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sara Lindley Sara Lindley is offline

Default Date format switches

Hopefully someone can solve this problem.

I have used the date switch to swap from US date format to non-US date
format in a word doc and it worked great. When I come to use the same switch
in another word doc it doesn't work. The only thing I have changed is the
field name, and yes, I have typed it in correctly, it was the first thing I
checked! :-) This is the code I've put in

{ MERGEFIELD Date_Received @\ "dd/MM/yy" }

I wondered at first if it had something to do with the space or "_" in the
field name but the field name in the switch that works also has a space.
Basically I am totally stumped!! Can anyone shed any light on this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The correct syntax is

{ MERGEFIELD Date_Received \@ "dd/MM/yy" }

see http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm

Sara Lindley wrote
Hopefully someone can solve this problem.

I have used the date switch to swap from US date format to non-US date
format in a word doc and it worked great. When I come to use the same
switch in another word doc it doesn't work. The only thing I have
changed is the field name, and yes, I have typed it in correctly, it
was the first thing I checked! :-) This is the code I've put in

{ MERGEFIELD Date_Received @\ "dd/MM/yy" }

I wondered at first if it had something to do with the space or "_"
in the field name but the field name in the switch that works also
has a space. Basically I am totally stumped!! Can anyone shed any
light on this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sara Lindley Sara Lindley is offline

Hi

Thanks for the reply, silly me typed the syntax in the comment incorrectly,
however, the syntax in the switch is correct and it still won't work!

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The correct syntax is

{ MERGEFIELD Date_Received \@ "dd/MM/yy" }

see http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm

Sara Lindley wrote
Hopefully someone can solve this problem.

I have used the date switch to swap from US date format to non-US date
format in a word doc and it worked great. When I come to use the same
switch in another word doc it doesn't work. The only thing I have
changed is the field name, and yes, I have typed it in correctly, it
was the first thing I checked! :-) This is the code I've put in

{ MERGEFIELD Date_Received @\ "dd/MM/yy" }

I wondered at first if it had something to do with the space or "_"
in the field name but the field name in the switch that works also
has a space. Basically I am totally stumped!! Can anyone shed any
light on this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What do you mean by 'won't work'? Have you updated the field?

Sara Lindley wrote:
Hi

Thanks for the reply, silly me typed the syntax in the comment
incorrectly, however, the syntax in the switch is correct and it
still won't work!

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The correct syntax is

{ MERGEFIELD Date_Received \@ "dd/MM/yy" }

see http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm

Sara Lindley wrote
Hopefully someone can solve this problem.

I have used the date switch to swap from US date format to non-US
date format in a word doc and it worked great. When I come to use
the same switch in another word doc it doesn't work. The only thing
I have changed is the field name, and yes, I have typed it in
correctly, it was the first thing I checked! :-) This is the code
I've put in

{ MERGEFIELD Date_Received @\ "dd/MM/yy" }

I wondered at first if it had something to do with the space or "_"
in the field name but the field name in the switch that works also
has a space. Basically I am totally stumped!! Can anyone shed any
light on this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sara Lindley Sara Lindley is offline

Hi

This is what I have done to try to get it to work

Right clicked and selected update field
Reconnected to the correct query from Access
Merged data to a new document
Repeatedly clicked the "View Merged Data" button
Made sure that the field format in Access is short date
Closed down both Word and Access, opened up Access again and opened the word
file using the access hyperlink

Really starting to question my sanity now!

Cheers

Sara

Sara Lindley wrote:
Hi

Thanks for the reply, silly me typed the syntax in the comment
incorrectly, however, the syntax in the switch is correct and it
still won't work!

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The correct syntax is

{ MERGEFIELD Date_Received \@ "dd/MM/yy" }

see http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm

Sara Lindley wrote
Hopefully someone can solve this problem.

I have used the date switch to swap from US date format to non-US
date format in a word doc and it worked great. When I come to use
the same switch in another word doc it doesn't work. The only thing
I have changed is the field name, and yes, I have typed it in
correctly, it was the first thing I checked! :-) This is the code
I've put in

{ MERGEFIELD Date_Received @\ "dd/MM/yy" }

I wondered at first if it had something to do with the space or "_"
in the field name but the field name in the switch that works also
has a space. Basically I am totally stumped!! Can anyone shed any
light on this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

See the "Dates: day/month reversed" item under the "Connection methods"
topic of the "Mail merge in Word 2002" section of fellow MVP Cindy
Meister's website at :

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MergFram.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Sara Lindley wrote:
Hi

Thanks for the reply, silly me typed the syntax in the comment
incorrectly, however, the syntax in the switch is correct and it
still won't work!

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The correct syntax is

{ MERGEFIELD Date_Received \@ "dd/MM/yy" }

see http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm

Sara Lindley wrote
Hopefully someone can solve this problem.

I have used the date switch to swap from US date format to non-US
date format in a word doc and it worked great. When I come to use
the same switch in another word doc it doesn't work. The only thing
I have changed is the field name, and yes, I have typed it in
correctly, it was the first thing I checked! :-) This is the code
I've put in

{ MERGEFIELD Date_Received @\ "dd/MM/yy" }

I wondered at first if it had something to do with the space or "_"
in the field name but the field name in the switch that works also
has a space. Basically I am totally stumped!! Can anyone shed any
light on this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sara Lindley Sara Lindley is offline

Thanks Doug

After looking around via the link you gave me I found something different to
try and hey presto! after changing the database connection method to "MS
Access Database via ODBC" the date switch works!

Thanks to Graham as well for taking the time to try and solve this for me.

Sara Lindley wrote:
Hi

Thanks for the reply, silly me typed the syntax in the comment
incorrectly, however, the syntax in the switch is correct and it
still won't work!

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The correct syntax is

{ MERGEFIELD Date_Received \@ "dd/MM/yy" }

see http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm

Sara Lindley wrote
Hopefully someone can solve this problem.

I have used the date switch to swap from US date format to non-US
date format in a word doc and it worked great. When I come to use
the same switch in another word doc it doesn't work. The only thing
I have changed is the field name, and yes, I have typed it in
correctly, it was the first thing I checked! :-) This is the code
I've put in

{ MERGEFIELD Date_Received @\ "dd/MM/yy" }

I wondered at first if it had something to do with the space or "_"
in the field name but the field name in the switch that works also
has a space. Basically I am totally stumped!! Can anyone shed any
light on this?

How to suppress autotext US date format after typing current year Bagrat Microsoft Word Help 7 October 8th 08 07:26 AM
Mailmerge date format Ocean Mailmerge 5 April 9th 06 06:28 PM
How can I add a format to the "Insert Date" format gallery? Stuart C. Microsoft Word Help 1 June 9th 05 05:19 PM
How do I get UK date format merging into word from Access? Gavvers Mailmerge 3 March 18th 05 12:24 PM
date format change when using serial printing Paulo Merieles Microsoft Word Help 3 January 5th 05 12:24 AM