William

Default How do I set the home/root path in Word?

I have a word (2002 SP2) document that contains a large number of pictures
stored as links to local files. Below is an example:

{INCLUDEPICTURE "results/id30Vacc.gif" \* MERGEFORMATINET \d}

If I copy the word file to our server, along with the results directory and
all the linked files, no one else can view the pictures. Somewhere, Word has
set the home/root path which, I assume, is set to a specific directory on my
PC.

How can I change (or remove) this home/root path?

William

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think that's it. I've looked in there and
the directories listed do not contain the required path. They seem to be for
general stuff (templates, etc).

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote:

I believe the path is found on the TOOLS - Options menu. Select FILE
LOCATIONS and try that.

"William" wrote in message
news
I have a word (2002 SP2) document that contains a large number of pictures
stored as links to local files. Below is an example:

{INCLUDEPICTURE "results/id30Vacc.gif" \* MERGEFORMATINET \d}

If I copy the word file to our server, along with the results directory

and
all the linked files, no one else can view the pictures. Somewhere, Word

has
set the home/root path which, I assume, is set to a specific directory on

my
PC.

How can I change (or remove) this home/root path?

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?V2lsbGlhbQ==?=,

Word sets the "current path", and it's the path of the document just opened,
using File/Open. Relative paths in Word documents will only work if all the
files are in (or relative to) the current path.

In addition, it usually helps to use "..\results\id30Vacc.gif" so that Word
recognizes it has to "look up the tree" to find the location.

One other thing: you need to remove the INET from the \* MergeFormat switch and
be sure to turn off the "update links" option in Tools/OPtions/General/Web
options/Files. If you don't, Word will screw with your file paths and they won't
be the same in the final document as you think they are.

I have a word (2002 SP2) document that contains a large number of pictures
stored as links to local files. Below is an example:

{INCLUDEPICTURE "results/id30Vacc.gif" \* MERGEFORMATINET \d}

If I copy the word file to our server, along with the results directory and
all the linked files, no one else can view the pictures. Somewhere, Word has
set the home/root path which, I assume, is set to a specific directory on my
PC.

How can I change (or remove) this home/root path?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

William

Cindy,

I'm a little confused. The original document was saved under a local
directory named c:\software\nemo under which resides the results
sub-directory with all of my images.

The file is now only on our z: drive (a server) and is not stored locally.
Therefore, why do I see all the images correctly and nobody else does? The
only explanation I could think of is that Word stores "c:\software\nemo"
within the document.

Thanks, William

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?V2lsbGlhbQ==?=,

I'm a little confused. The original document was saved under a local
directory named c:\software\nemo under which resides the results
sub-directory with all of my images.

The file is now only on our z: drive (a server) and is not stored locally.
Therefore, why do I see all the images correctly and nobody else does? The
only explanation I could think of is that Word stores "c:\software\nemo"
within the document.

Are you certain you don't have a copy still on your hard drive? There's a
setting in Tools/Options/Save that will create copies of network files,
locally, and this may be influencing things. Also, the MergeFormatINET switch
could be storing that original path (where you can't see it).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

How can I divide a page into three sections? Bonnie Microsoft Word Help 3 May 8th 23 02:47 AM
macro in word js Microsoft Word Help 1 December 28th 04 03:01 AM
Macro that will add the file path & date to Word footnotes? Rich P Microsoft Word Help 2 December 15th 04 07:49 PM
saving the workspace Mike Microsoft Word Help 3 December 8th 04 11:32 PM