Bert Coules

Default Repeated words in spell check

One curious thing I've discovered in the Word 2000 spell checker is that it
picks up repeated words even when the repeat is separated by punctuation; so
for example "That's it: it is done" is flagged as a possible error. Is
there any way of teaching the program to ignore that sort of usage?

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Bert Coules

Terry,

Thanks for the reply. It seems a minor matter, I realise, but for some
reason it really irritates me.

You'd have thought that someone somewhere along the line would have thought
of doing something about it.

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Bert Coules

Pop,

Thanks for the reply. I can only confirm that on my Word 2000 installation
a phrase such as "That's it. It is done" is flagged by the spell checker as
incorporating a repeated word. I don't have the check-as-you-type facility
switched on, so I can't comment on that; and I would never use a grammar
checker: they're horrible things with no soul and no imagination.

If there is a well-buried switch somewhere to make the spell checker
recognise punctuation when it sees it, I would certainly like to know about
it.

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Pop

Bert Coules wrote:
Pop,

Thanks for the reply. I can only confirm that on my Word 2000
installation a phrase such as "That's it. It is done" is
flagged by
the spell checker as incorporating a repeated word. I don't
have the
check-as-you-type facility switched on, so I can't comment on
that;

== check-as-you-type makes no diff for me here. I just
recreated a new normal.dot just for grins; nothing changed.
Almost forgot to put the old one back too g!

Two posters, you and another, indicated 2000 and 2003 flag the
repeated word; so it doesn't make sense to me that hard code
would be different; there MUST be an explanation! You said you
had SP2, right? No idea whether it matters; just asking as a
possibility.

and I would never use a grammar checker: they're horrible
things with
no soul and no imagination.

LOL, whatsa matta fo u? Don't you like being criticized? I
remember the first time I used it on a decent sized doc:
Essentially, it called me a pompous, wordy ass! Not in those
terms of course. I've been worried ever since that it might be
right! ;-]~
I do have it on though, msot of the time; I just have most of
the features turned off. It does a decent job of catching a lot
of common usage errors for me. I even go change it now and then,
momentarily, if I'm worried about tenses, things like that. I
always use too many commas and semi-colons in my writing styles.
I have three different styles I write in, and tend to mix them up
when I get rolling good.

If there is a well-buried switch somewhere to make the spell
checker
recognise punctuation when it sees it, I would certainly like
to know
about it.

Me, too. Have you considered taking this to any other MS groups?
A lot of the MVPs are the same ones, but it's another avenue of
experience. I've searched quite a bit for something to impact
it, but can't find anything. My problem is, I DO think I've seen
something about catching repeated words, and I think it was
recent, but I can't find it again. Help and Support's definitely
not. When I start getting the same thing, I'd love to know how
to put it back right.

Regards,

Pop

Bert