Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ket Ket is offline

Default Putting in references

I have got this 76 page text file with 400 references (not footnotes or
endnotes) and every time I have to add a reference, I have to change the
reference numbers for all the references in the text and also in the works
cited. Is there a way this can be done automatically, where once I add a
reference, all the references get bumped up one (in the text) because they do
get bumped up one if they are in the "numbering" format, but not if they are
in the text like normal numbers.

For example: She said he was a good boy (5). He ate an ice cream(6).

Now if I add a sentence before with a references, is there a way to
automatically get the 5 to change to a 6 and 6 to change to a 7.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
eezzell eezzell is offline

I am assuming that you are working with a style guide that wants references
between parentheses.

You still need to use endnotes to get Word to automatically renumber for you.
Insert an endnote. Highlight it so that your style window shows Endnote
Reference. From the Format menu, click Styles and Formatting, right click on
Endnote Reference in the Fomatting of selected text window and modify the
style to get rid of the superscript. Put your endnotes in parentheses and it
should work.
--
Computing should be about insight, not numbers or flash.