Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KittyFolster KittyFolster is offline

Default Can I Change the Character Used for Overstrike in Tracked Changes?

It was possible to do this is WordPerfect. You could select any different
character and it would overstrike with that. Does Word have that capability?
Thanks!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

KittyFolster wrote:
It was possible to do this is WordPerfect. You could select any
different character and it would overstrike with that. Does Word
have that capability? Thanks!!

No, Word doesn't do that. The option is "Strikethrough", meaning
specifically a horizontal line through the center of the character.
"Overstrike", meaning two separate characters in the same space, isn't
available for Track Changes.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Seems like there was a Registry edit that would allow you to select the
overstrike character, though. This came up back in Word 2002 when you
couldn't customize the formatting of deleted text through the UI at all.
Don't have time to google it now, but I'm pretty sure I'm remembering
correctly.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
KittyFolster wrote:
It was possible to do this is WordPerfect. You could select any
different character and it would overstrike with that. Does Word
have that capability? Thanks!!

No, Word doesn't do that. The option is "Strikethrough", meaning
specifically a horizontal line through the center of the character.
"Overstrike", meaning two separate characters in the same space, isn't
available for Track Changes.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I did check Google Groups, back to the start of 2002, as well as the
main Google index. While I found lots of discussion about how you have
to use VBA to set the formatting for deletions in Word 2002, I
couldn't find anything about changing any overstrike character.

In fact, the VBA constants that are available for setting the deleted
item format are
wdDeletedTextMarkBold
wdDeletedTextMarkCaret
wdDeletedTextMarkColorOnly
wdDeletedTextMarkDoubleUnderline
wdDeletedTextMarkHidden
wdDeletedTextMarkItalic
wdDeletedTextMarkPound
wdDeletedTextMarkStrikeThrough
wdDeletedTextMarkUnderline
which all correspond to settings in the Font dialog. That implies that
behind the scenes Track Changes is only applying direct font
formatting. Since overstriking isn't font formatting, it probably
isn't possible to use it for Track Changes -- with or without any
registry edits. I won't say it's impossible (Word does lots of things
that are stranger than that), but I'd have to see it for myself to
believe it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

KittyFolster wrote:
It was possible to do this is WordPerfect. You could select any
different character and it would overstrike with that. Does Word
have that capability? Thanks!!

No, Word doesn't do that. The option is "Strikethrough", meaning
specifically a horizontal line through the center of the character.
"Overstrike", meaning two separate characters in the same space, isn't
available for Track Changes.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

A single ^ or # character is left in the text in place of whatever was
deleted, no matter how much of it there was. Stupidly, if you hover
the mouse cursor over that character, the popup just says "Deleted: ^"
instead of showing what was deleted. You can see the deleted text if
you enable balloons.

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 22:45:23 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

I think caret and pound were the ones I was thinking of. I guess they're not
overstrike but in fact replace the deleted text? Or surround it? Or what?

.. .