LesleyW

Default Can I autoformat words in a custom dictionary?

I have a custom dictionary for botanical words. However, all botanical words
in my document should be italicised. Is there a way to tell Word to
autoformat any words found in the custom dictionary?

Thanks in advance.

LesleyW
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

If you think about what else is in the custom dictionary, you'd probably
realize that you don't really want that feature.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"LesleyW" wrote in message
I have a custom dictionary for botanical words. However, all botanical
words
in my document should be italicised. Is there a way to tell Word to
autoformat any words found in the custom dictionary?

Thanks in advance.

LesleyW

Graham Mayor

There is no way to separate the custom dictionary from the main dictionary
during spell checks and there is no way to configure spell check to apply
formatting. The best you can achieve would be to create your list as
formatted autocorrect entries or you could create a macro with the terms in
an array to convert them en masse. I can't tell you the limits for an array
such as this, but it worked fine with the content of my personal dictionary
in place of the three
examples. It wouldn't take much effort to convert your dictionary listing to
the same comma delimited format to
try it.

Sub ReplaceList()
Dim vFindText As Variant
Dim vReplText As Variant
Dim i As Long
Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory
vFindText = Array("daisy", "rose", "dandelion")
With Selection.Find
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
.Format = True
.MatchCase = True
For i = LBound(vFindText) To UBound(vFindText)
.Text = vFindText(i)
.Replacement.Text = "^&"
.Replacement.Font.Italic = True
.Execute replace:=wdReplaceAll
Next i
End With
End Sub

"LesleyW" wrote in message
I have a custom dictionary for botanical words. However, all
botanical words
in my document should be italicised. Is there a way to tell Word to
autoformat any words found in the custom dictionary?

Thanks in advance.

LesleyW

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Haven't you ever told the dictionary to add anything? A friend's last name?
A street name?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"LesleyW" wrote in message
I have a custom dictionary for botanical words. However, all botanical
words
in my document should be italicised. Is there a way to tell Word to
autoformat any words found in the custom dictionary?

Thanks in advance.

LesleyW

LesleyW

Yes, but I have two custom dictionaries, the standard custom.dic, where all
that stuff goes, and a separate file called botanical.dic. Its only the words
in the second that I want italicised.

"LesleyW" wrote in message
I have a custom dictionary for botanical words. However, all botanical
words
in my document should be italicised. Is there a way to tell Word to
autoformat any words found in the custom dictionary?

Thanks in advance.

LesleyW

MICHAEL STEEL

Hi im actualy after a botanical custom dictionary as im a horticultural
student could you tell me where i might find such a useful tool as it would
save me so much time telling it every word.

"LesleyW" wrote in message
I have a custom dictionary for botanical words. However, all botanical
words
in my document should be italicised. Is there a way to tell Word to
autoformat any words found in the custom dictionary?

Thanks in advance.

LesleyW

LesleyW

Hi,

I got it from http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/resources/ (it's free).
There are also a lot of people selling them if you look on Google.

Good luck with your course!

Lesley