Restart caption numbering after section break

Old May 8th 09, 03:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Amy E.

Default Restart caption numbering after section break

I thought I was a pretty advanced Word user, but this has me stumped. I read
a couple of other posts on this forum but couldn't quite figure out the
answers. I don't have much experience with editing field codes.

I have a document with a main body and several appendices, and I need to
restart the captions in each appendix at 1. In other words, in App. A, I want
the captions to read Figure A-1, etc., but when I get to App. B, I want the
captions to start at Figure B-1. Right now all I can get it to do is start at
Figure B-6, and then App. C starts at like Figure C-10. I'm sure it has
something to do with the SEQ field, but I don't know how/where to edit that.
I pressed ALT+F9 to reveal the codes and tried typing the /r command but that
didn't work, so I don't know if I typed the command in the wrong location or
what.

The only other option I can think of is to build a Book file with each
document saved individually and pulled into the main book, but I'm not sure
the end user of this document will like that option or really know how to
manipulate a Book file.

Any help would be very much appreciated! (BTW, I'm using Word 2007, if that
makes a difference...)