Rachel

Default table of figures

I am in English but somethimes use swedish as a second language. The standard
capture labels availble at word are tabell and figur which corresponds to
swedish denomination. However I am writing the document in english and need
english lables. Therefore I created labels as figure and table. I have 2
problems.
1) when I try to insert the table of figures, Word ask if I want to replace
the Index table, (which I want to keep)
2) is that table of figures do not appear since word is looking for swedish
labels as figur and tabell which I don't use.

Stefan Blom

Are you using the Caption dialog box to create caption labels and
insert captions? If a label has been created in the Caption dialog
box, you should be able to pick that label in the Index and Tables
dialog box (Table of Figures tab), as you create the table of figures.
If you are prompted to replace an existing table, just click No.

Note that caption labels are stored in the Normal template; they don't
travel with documents (as one would expect).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rachel" wrote in message
I am in English but somethimes use swedish as a second language. The

standard
capture labels availble at word are tabell and figur which

corresponds to
swedish denomination. However I am writing the document in english

and need
english lables. Therefore I created labels as figure and table. I

have 2
problems.
1) when I try to insert the table of figures, Word ask if I want to

replace
the Index table, (which I want to keep)
2) is that table of figures do not appear since word is looking for

swedish
labels as figur and tabell which I don't use.

rachel

Hi Stefan:

That's my next question. I am using another template than "normal.dot" and
it can be possible that I erase the caption label from the new template. Now
I don't remember how to copy back that from the normal.dot. Can you help me
with that to see if that solves the problem.

Another thing is that the dialog do not give me the chose 'No', it only
presents accept or cancel, and when I choose cancel nothing is done.

best regards
raquel

"Rachel" wrote in message
I am in English but somethimes use swedish as a second language. The

standard
capture labels availble at word are tabell and figur which

corresponds to
swedish denomination. However I am writing the document in english

and need
english lables. Therefore I created labels as figure and table. I

have 2
problems.
1) when I try to insert the table of figures, Word ask if I want to

replace
the Index table, (which I want to keep)
2) is that table of figures do not appear since word is looking for

swedish
labels as figur and tabell which I don't use.

rachel

The problem is solve:
1) I create a new label called figure. Automatically all others labels appear
2) I inserted the table of figures first (which of course erased my prior
table of contents)
3) I inserted again the table of contents, (which ask me if I wanted to
erase the other table of figure, and I answered no)

Well that's was my way to go around the problem

"Rachel" wrote in message
I am in English but somethimes use swedish as a second language. The

standard
capture labels availble at word are tabell and figur which

corresponds to
swedish denomination. However I am writing the document in english

and need
english lables. Therefore I created labels as figure and table. I

have 2
problems.
1) when I try to insert the table of figures, Word ask if I want to

replace
the Index table, (which I want to keep)
2) is that table of figures do not appear since word is looking for

swedish
labels as figur and tabell which I don't use.

Stefan Blom

Yes, since caption labels are stored with normal.dot (the blank
document template) you can make Word "see" them again (for TOC
purposes), if you recreate them. This applies for example if you open
the file on a different computer with a different normal.dot file
present.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP