Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
DALopez DALopez is offline

Default Creating a masterlist and using it to create custom lists

Hi microsoft Gods,
I am trying to figure out how I can type a masterlist of statements
that have been bulleted. Then I want to create a custom list by just typing
in the bullet number and viola' the statement is inserted into my custome
list.

The list is already existing in 2003 Word.

I am using Word. Do I need to buy another program?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

You could do this using AutoText. I suggest that you take a look at AutoText
in Word's help file. If you want to insert the items by number, you could
name them using numbers, e.g., i1, i2, i3, etc.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"DALopez" wrote in message
Hi microsoft Gods,
I am trying to figure out how I can type a masterlist of statements
that have been bulleted. Then I want to create a custom list by just
typing
in the bullet number and viola' the statement is inserted into my custome
list.

The list is already existing in 2003 Word.

I am using Word. Do I need to buy another program?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
DALopez DALopez is offline

Thanks Mr. Tyson!

Can I type up a series of numbers from my list and it will automatically
insert those statements to my custom document or do I have to do it one by
one? I tried it but only got to do 1 number at a time.

"DALopez" wrote in message
Hi microsoft Gods,
I am trying to figure out how I can type a masterlist of statements
that have been bulleted. Then I want to create a custom list by just
typing
in the bullet number and viola' the statement is inserted into my custome
list.

The list is already existing in 2003 Word.

I am using Word. Do I need to buy another program?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

You can't do them all at once (unless each one is contained inside an
autotext field code... but going that route seems like it'd be just as much
work).

However, you don't need to use the dialog method to insert them once the
list exists. Just put the cursor at the end of each one and press F3. For a
list of a dozen items, this repetitive action woud probably take only a few
seconds to perform. If you have hundreds to insert at a time, then I would
look at using a macro.

--

"DALopez" wrote in message
Hi microsoft Gods,
I am trying to figure out how I can type a masterlist of statements
that have been bulleted. Then I want to create a custom list by just
typing
in the bullet number and viola' the statement is inserted into my
custome
list.

The list is already existing in 2003 Word.

I am using Word. Do I need to buy another program?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
DALopez DALopez is offline

OK, I tried this F3 thing and it did not work.

I opened my list that is autotexted I opened a new document then I clicked
on the note on the autotext list (how does it know to transfer to new
document?) that I wanted, I pressed F3 and Excell openned up. [OK don't laugh
:-) ]

"DALopez" wrote in message
Hi microsoft Gods,
I am trying to figure out how I can type a masterlist of statements
that have been bulleted. Then I want to create a custom list by just
typing
in the bullet number and viola' the statement is inserted into my
custome
list.

The list is already existing in 2003 Word.

I am using Word. Do I need to buy another program?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Have you reassigned F3 to something else? Or, do you perhaps have a special
keyboard with an F Lock feature that causes the F keys to do something
different?

I don't understand the "how does it know to transfer to new document?"
question. When you create autotext entries--unless you explicitly save them
to a template that isn't normally available--those autotext entries will be
available in new and existing documents.

But, your question makes me wonder about how you're going about it.