Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chuckmg Chuckmg is offline

Default Word 2007 - further problems

Things seemed to have evolved ... not for the better. Now it is not
possible to save a file from Word. When you give up and say "Don't Save", it
closes and immediately opens up again. Need to go to the Windows Task
Manager in order to end the process.

Since these problems have appeared, I have scanned the system for viruses
and trojan horses ... and restarted. No help.

Any suggestions for further narrowing this down?

Chuck

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

What happens if you start Word in Safe Mode. From Start, Run, type in

winword /a

and press enter. Now close Word. Does it work correctly in Safe Mode?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Chuckmg" wrote in message
Things seemed to have evolved ... not for the better. Now it is not
possible to save a file from Word. When you give up and say "Don't Save",
it closes and immediately opens up again. Need to go to the Windows Task
Manager in order to end the process.

Since these problems have appeared, I have scanned the system for viruses
and trojan horses ... and restarted. No help.

Any suggestions for further narrowing this down?

Chuck

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chuckmg Chuckmg is offline

Hi Terry,

I was trying to uninstall Office 2007 when I saw your message. In the
process of trying, I restored WinXP back to Nov 6th. No luck ... until I
saw your reply from this afternoon. It works in Safe Mode! How should I
proceed?

Chuck

"Chuckmg" wrote in message
Things seemed to have evolved ... not for the better. Now it is not
possible to save a file from Word. When you give up and say "Don't Save",
it closes and immediately opens up again. Need to go to the Windows Task
Manager in order to end the process.

Since these problems have appeared, I have scanned the system for viruses
and trojan horses ... and restarted. No help.

Any suggestions for further narrowing this down?

Chuck

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

If it works in Safe Mode, then there is nothing wrong with Word and
uninstalling/reinstalling will be a waste of time (and usually is) because
all the users settings, customisations and add-ins are unaffected. My guess
from your symptoms is that you have a (legacy) incompatible third party
add-in that is messing up Word. You need to find the add-in (usually in the
Word Startup folder) and remove it or get it updated.

See how to find add-ins

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...sInstalled.htm

Terry

"Chuckmg" wrote in message
Things seemed to have evolved ... not for the better. Now it is not
possible to save a file from Word. When you give up and say "Don't
Save", it closes and immediately opens up again. Need to go to the
Windows Task Manager in order to end the process.

Since these problems have appeared, I have scanned the system for
viruses and trojan horses ... and restarted. No help.

Any suggestions for further narrowing this down?

Chuck

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chuckmg Chuckmg is offline

After much effort everything seems to be working. Except now, every time I
start a new program a dialog box appears labeled 'Windows Installer
starting' ... and takes forever to install e.g. Word.

The first link you pointed me below is no longer there. The second link
does not include Word 2007 in its purview. I have attached a Word doc
which identifies the major discrepancies with Word 2007.

Many thanks, not only for the resolution of the problem, but for the
education, too.

"Chuckmg" wrote in message
Things seemed to have evolved ... not for the better. Now it is not
possible to save a file from Word. When you give up and say "Don't
Save", it closes and immediately opens up again. Need to go to the
Windows Task Manager in order to end the process.

Since these problems have appeared, I have scanned the system for
viruses and trojan horses ... and restarted. No help.

Any suggestions for further narrowing this down?

Chuck

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

That is usually fixed by right-clicking on the Word icon and choosing Run as
Administrator. It will run through the install procedure again but that
should fix it for good.

Terry