Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tywardreath

Default One Table of Contents - Multiple Word Documents

Hi

I have recently upgraded from Word 97 to Word 2003, and am now unable to
create one TOC from multiple word documents, as I use to before.

In Word 97 I created my TOC using RD fields. The TOC field was {toc \t
"Policy,1"}, and RD fields similar to; {RD €œD:\\data\\policy 1.doc€}, {RD
€œD:\\data\\policy 2.doc€} etc. This still works in Word 2003.

Page numbering was created through the use of fields. I was trying to
automate incremental page numbering across the files ("start at" wasn't
feasible). The first document had page numbering as per usual, on the last
page I highlighted the page number and inserted a bookmark (P1bkmk). In the
second document the page number was inserted using fields {= { PAGE } + {
INCLUDETEXT €œD:\\Data\\Policy 1.doc P1bkmk \* CharFormat \! } }. This is how
I got the page numbering to commence from the previous document. Then just
like the first document, I highlighted the page number on the last page, and
inserted a bookmark (P2bkmk). This still works in Word 2003... (believe it or
not).

What doesn't work in Word 2003, is the TOC doesn't bring through the page
numbers displayed on the "first page" of each file.

Does anyone know how I can achieve this in Word 2003???

Thanks, Ty.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

See:

Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tywardreath" wrote in message
Hi

I have recently upgraded from Word 97 to Word 2003, and am now

unable to
create one TOC from multiple word documents, as I use to before.

In Word 97 I created my TOC using RD fields. The TOC field was {toc

\t
"Policy,1"}, and RD fields similar to; {RD "D:\\data\\policy

1.doc"}, {RD
"D:\\data\\policy 2.doc"} etc. This still works in Word 2003.

Page numbering was created through the use of fields. I was trying

automate incremental page numbering across the files ("start at"

wasn't
feasible). The first document had page numbering as per usual, on

the last
page I highlighted the page number and inserted a bookmark (P1bkmk).

In the
second document the page number was inserted using fields {= {

PAGE } + {
INCLUDETEXT "D:\\Data\\Policy 1.doc P1bkmk \* CharFormat \! } }.

This is how
I got the page numbering to commence from the previous document.

Then just
like the first document, I highlighted the page number on the last

page, and
inserted a bookmark (P2bkmk). This still works in Word 2003...

(believe it or
not).

What doesn't work in Word 2003, is the TOC doesn't bring through the

page
numbers displayed on the "first page" of each file.

Does anyone know how I can achieve this in Word 2003???

Thanks, Ty.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tywardreath

Hi

I went to the URL suggested:

and the solution worked really well for a "fresh/brand new" set of
documents, and TOC page.

However, if I added an extra document to be included in the TOC, and re-ran
the macro in the TOC document, I get a debugging error on the line:

Set oDoc = Documents.Open(FileName:=strCode)

I've tried different ways to get around the problem, but no luck. On the off
chance I thought that previous page numbering may have made it full over, so
even if I change all the page numbers in the documents back to 1 - the macro
still falls over.

Really appreciate help - I desperately need it.

Cheers, Ty.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

I don't get an error when adding documents. Did you make sure to enter
the field code correctly? For example, did you remember to include
*two* backslashes between the names of files and folders in the RD
field code? Is the file in the correct folder?

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jenny

I'm trying to do the exact same thing and I get the same error. My
files are all in the right place and seem to be referenced right. Are
there any other things that could cause the file not to be recognized?
Appreciate any help -

Jenny

Stefan Blom wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jenny

Nevermind - I got it to work. I just removed the "" marks around the
filename and it worked perfectly. - Jenny

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Gee John Gee is offline

Does this same procedure apply to Word 2007. I am creating a multiple file
document, but may soon upgrade to Word 2007. Will all my currrent Work on
Word 2003 be lost? Thanks

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline