Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank Martin Frank Martin is offline

Default How do I convert Word2003 text to a picture?

I have WindowsXP.

I have an "Epson Photo R285/290" jet-printer
that I want to use for printing on CDs &
DVDs.

It prints OK, but I have a lot of trouble
getting the software to print blocks of text
(via a text box).

Its software does not allow direct pasting of
clipboard text into a rectangle drawn onto
the software design area.

I need a lot of text on the DVDs for the
movie title and the plot synopsis.

The only way I can think of is to design the
text in Word2003 and then convert this into a
picture that the Epson software can put
easily onto the CD/DVD.

Can this be done?

Also, how do I get Word2003 to wrap text
around a curved surface, which CDs & DVDs
have?

Is there some easy way to do all this?

Please help, Frank.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Does that printer actually print on the CDs or are you using labels?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Frank Martin" wrote in message
I have WindowsXP.

I have an "Epson Photo R285/290" jet-printer that I want to use for
printing on CDs & DVDs.

It prints OK, but I have a lot of trouble getting the software to print
blocks of text (via a text box).

Its software does not allow direct pasting of clipboard text into a
rectangle drawn onto the software design area.

I need a lot of text on the DVDs for the movie title and the plot
synopsis.

The only way I can think of is to design the text in Word2003 and then
convert this into a picture that the Epson software can put easily onto
the CD/DVD.

Can this be done?

Also, how do I get Word2003 to wrap text around a curved surface, which
CDs & DVDs have?

Is there some easy way to do all this?

Please help, Frank.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank Martin Frank Martin is offline

Yes, it prints on to the CD/DVDs.

"JoAnn Paules"
wrote in message
Does that printer actually print on the CDs
or are you using labels?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007
For Dummies"

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Word is probably not the best software to use for this. There are many CD
Labelling utilities available which will be easier to use.

In Word, you cannot just draw a rectangle and paste text into it. You can
draw a Text Box and paste in text though. With a rectangle, you need to
right-click on its edge and select Edit Text.

If you want to follow the curve, then you need to use shapes or WordArt.

How experienced are you with Word?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

That being the case, you may have some software for label design that came
with the printer. Word is not going to be the program you want to use.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank Martin Frank Martin is offline

The printer software is useless. It will not
even allow clipboard pasting. I have found a
tentative method using the "Grabbit" software
that allows one to select a section of the
screen and save it as a Jpeg picture file.
This can fool the printer software to appear
as a picture which can then be printed on to
the disk. I am using overflow text boxes to
fill the disk with text, albeit as a picture,
but I ask again, is there a way in Word2003
to allow text wrapping along a curved
surface?

"JoAnn Paules"
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank Martin Frank Martin is offline

"Terry Farrell" wrote
in message
Word is probably not the best software to
use for this. There are many CD Labelling
utilities available which will be easier to
use.

In Word, you cannot just draw a rectangle
and paste text into it. You can draw a Text
Box and paste in text though. With a
rectangle, you need to right-click on its
edge and select Edit Text.

If you want to follow the curve, then you
need to use shapes or WordArt.

How experienced are you with Word?

Fairly. We use Word2003 for all our label
designs and we find this as good as
Publisher. We reguarly use the tables, text
boxes, pictures etc and we have hundreds
stored on the HDD.

I have tried the "Nero 8" disk labelling
utility but this does not seem to be designed
for filling up a disk surface with text.

Frank

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Frank,

You can use WordArt to create curved text.

Insert=Picture=WordArt

Select the third gallery choice in the top row.

Type your text and select a font.

From the WordArt Toolbar choose 'WordArt shape' and select a circle shape.

Drag the shape to size or right click and use Format=WordArt and set Size for height and width to match the edges of your disk
print area.

You can put the WordArt behind your other graphics so you can more easily position them.

================
"Frank Martin" wrote in message ...
The printer software is useless. It will not
even allow clipboard pasting. I have found a
tentative method using the "Grabbit" software
that allows one to select a section of the
screen and save it as a Jpeg picture file.
This can fool the printer software to appear
as a picture which can then be printed on to
the disk. I am using overflow text boxes to
fill the disk with text, albeit as a picture,
but I ask again, is there a way in Word2003
to allow text wrapping along a curved
surface?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank Martin Frank Martin is offline

Hello Bob.
Here are some examples of text on a CD/DVD.
The following I can do:
http://www.streetcookie.com/Image2.jpg
but it is more complicated to wrap text to
one side of a CD/DVD and the following is NOT
an example because the text on the right hand
side should be wrapped to the edge of the
CD/DVD:
http://www.west-wind.com/weblog/imag...WestWindCD.jpg
I do not want text to flow around the
circumference, but rather a set of overflow
text boxes, each wrapped to the CD/DVD
circumference so as to fill the area of the
disk as much as possible. That is the reader
has only to hold the disk upright to read the
area.
Here's another example of what I want, but
with a far better text wrapping to the edges
of the CD/DVD:
http://www.ridgewaypress.co.uk/images/cd_fruit.gif
I have tried the drawing of an "autoshape" in
Word2003, (insert/picture/autoshape) namely
the "do-nut" shape that gives an area like
the surface of a CD/DVD, but I cannot get any
curve-wrapped HORIZONTAL text into it. If I
could this is what I need.
Do you know of any software to do this.
Frank

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful
Downtown)compuserve.com wrote in message
Hi Frank,

You can use WordArt to create curved text.

Insert=Picture=WordArt

Select the third gallery choice in the top
row.

Type your text and select a font.

From the WordArt Toolbar choose 'WordArt
shape' and select a circle shape.

[...]

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big
dividends*

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Frank,

How close to the 'edge' of a printed sheet you can get, whether pictures or text can depend on the capabilities of a particular printer.

In your 3 examples there isn't any text that fits a curve, it can be done with textboxes or with a table grid overlay and normal paragraph justification.
In your 2nd example the title is centered, the subtitle right justified and the block of text mid right is left justified. Each of these can be done in a text box or table cell.

Often it's a matter of just 'cutting out' the label or using Avery or other preformed labels. The last pack of CD labels and 'press' that I purchased came with 100 labels, the press and the software for something like $9.00 and it works fairly well.

If you're staying with Word to do this, there are several templates for CDs in Word at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...u=cd&av=TPL000
(set the search to use Word 2003 or earlier only by editing your list of MS Office products via the 'My Office Online' link on the top right of that page). This is one sample one of a CD face label
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...580261033.aspx
This may give you a couple of ideas. It's using five different shape pieces for constructing the disk, rather than try to work with the 'donut' shape.

Avery has a template for their labels and there are a number of shareware label template sets available.

Part of the illusion of looking like text follows the center hole curve or the right edge of the disk can come from the arrangement of the entries.

On the left side of the
disk longer entries
followed by some
shorter entries
can look like a
curve is being
followed when it
is just the layout
of the text sequence
as this block may show.

Now having said that,you can use Word's 'edit wrap points' choice on a shape and have text outside of a shape wrap around the shape closely rather than trying to follow the inside of a shape when setting the shape to 'tight' text wrapping. For example, you can set the regular text margins to the width of the disk and do your typing, and place a 'hole' in the center with a circle autoshape and have minimal margins between text and the autoshape, but that can be a lot of effort

=======================
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank Martin Frank Martin is offline

"Frank Martin" wrote in
message

"Terry Farrell"
wrote in message
[...]

I found one small program to do the job,
called "AudioLabel" and this will wrap the
text hard up against the curved DVD edge.

Regards, Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Thanks for that tip. There are numerous little utilities around for creating
labels, so I am pleased that you found one that does what you need.

Terry