Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NovelTea NovelTea is offline

Default Line spacing issue in Word 2010

I'm reformatting a large document that has been edited so many times that it has become convoluted, style-wise. In doing this I am editing the styles for the headers, and part of this is fixing the Before and After paragraph line spacing.

The headers have both Before and After line spacing settings (I.E., Befo 6pts After: 12pts), but for some reason unless I have the Before setting set 18pts or higher, it doesn't show any difference in the spacing.

I compared it to the older document, and the paragraph settings (indents, line spacing, etc) are identical between the two for headers and "normal" styles.

The original document was written in Word 2003 and edited throughout the years in 2007 and 2010.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi,

I am editing the styles for the headers, and part of this is fixing
the
Before and After paragraph line spacing.

You know: Line spacing is different from Before/After spacing...
Did you check the margins of the document as well as the margins for
headers/footers (Page Setup | Layout | From edge)?

The headers have both Before and After line spacing settings (I.E.,
Befo 6pts After: 12pts), but for some reason unless I have the
Before setting set 18pts or higher, it doesn't show any difference in
the spacing.

Does header/footer include more than one paragraph? In some versions of
Word spacing before/after of two paragraphs were summarized. In later
versions the maximum wins.

--
Cheers,
Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suzanne S. Barnhill[_3_] Suzanne S. Barnhill[_3_] is offline

If the issue is that only the larger of the Before/After settings is being
honored (instead of the two being added together), then you need to enable
the Compatibility Option "Don't use HTML paragraph auto spacing." Find the
Compatibility Options at the very bottom of the advanced tab of File |
Options.

"NovelTea" wrote in message

I'm reformatting a large document that has been edited so many times that it
has become convoluted, style-wise. In doing this I am editing the styles for
the headers, and part of this is fixing the Before and After paragraph line
spacing.

The headers have both Before and After line spacing settings (I.E., Befo
6pts After: 12pts), but for some reason unless I have the Before setting set
18pts or higher, it doesn't show any difference in the spacing.

I compared it to the older document, and the paragraph settings (indents,
line spacing, etc) are identical between the two for headers and "normal"
styles.

The original document was written in Word 2003 and edited throughout the
years in 2007 and 2010.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There's yet another pet peeve. Why aren't there pop-up explanations of
the dozens of "Advanced" settings in Word Options? How is "Don't use
HTML paragraph spacing" supposed to mean "Add together Before/After
spacing"?

"NovelTea" *wrote in message

I'm reformatting a large document that has been edited so many times that it
has become convoluted, style-wise. In doing this I am editing the styles for
the headers, and part of this is fixing the Before and After paragraph line
spacing.

The headers have both Before and After line spacing settings (I.E., Befo
6pts After: 12pts), but for some reason unless I have the Before setting set
18pts or higher, it doesn't show any difference in the spacing.

I compared it to the older document, and the paragraph settings (indents,
line spacing, etc) are identical between the two for headers and "normal"
styles.

The original document was written in Word 2003 and edited throughout the
years in 2007 and 2010.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There is a KB article that explains the compatibility options. It's for Word
2000-2003, but it still works in Word 2010... See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288792/en-us/ (Description of the
Compatibility options that are available in the Options dialog box in Word
2003, Word 2002, and Word 2000).

I certainly agree that Word Help should do a better job.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks -- some of those are informative, and many are absolutely
useless. For instance: two different commands that do exactly the same
thing? What if one is checked and the other isn't?

*Suppress extra line spacing at top of page*:
This option prevents Word from adding extra line spacing at the top of
a page. If the line spacing for the line at the top of a page is set
for more than single spacing, Word ignores the extra spacing, so that
the top margin does not increase.

*Suppress extra line spacing at the top of page like Word 5.x for the
Mac*:
This option prevents Word from adding extra line spacing at the top of
a page. If the line spacing for the line at the top of a page is set
for more than single line spacing, Word ignores the extra spacing, so
that the top margin does not increase.

wrote:
If the issue is that only the larger of the Before/After settings is
being
honored (instead of the two being added together), then you need to
enable
the Compatibility Option "Don't use HTML paragraph auto spacing." Find
the
Compatibility Options at the very bottom of the advanced tab of File |
Options.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, I don't pretend to understand that one fully. :-) There may not be a
difference besides the obvious one: the latter was created specifically for
MacWord compatibility. Of course, an explanation in the article would be
nice.

[...]