funnybroad

Default Page Number

Here's what I'm trying to do:

Document has 10 total pages:

1 title page
1 table of contents page
6 pages in portrait with text.
3 pages in landscape with pictures and text.

I want to have a footer with the following information:

Page n of nn where n= number of pages that are NOT the title page or the
table of contents page.

To prevent Word from calculating the total number of pages in the document,
I do a Section Break / Next page after the Table of Contents page. Then, in
the footer, I use the "section pages" field for the total number of pages.

This works UNTIL I change the last 3 pages to landscape mode (positioning my
cursor on the 6th page, and doing page setup, setting it to landscape mode
"from this point forward") The problem is, changing to landscape mode from
this point forward forces a new section (3).

So therefore, my footer only displays the number of pages by section.

Any ideas on how I can either:

1) Exclude the first two pages from being counted in the number of total pages
OR
2) Prevent a change in page orientation from forcing a section break
OR
3) Count the number of pages for the sections 2 & 3, and inserting that as a
field in the footer for sections 2 & 3?
Graham Mayor

You could use a formula field to deduct the number of blank pages from the
count eg

{ IF { Page } 2 "{ ={ Page }-2 } of { = { Numpages } -2 }" }

So this would start numbering from page 3 with 2 deducted from the count.

funnybroad wrote:
[...]

Jay Freedman

Place a bookmark on the last page of the last section. Then, instead of the
SectionPages field, use a PageRef field that refers to that bookmark. That
will display the adjusted page number of the last page. You just have to be
careful not to delete the bookmark, or to recreate it if you accidentally
delete it.

The idea of not using section breaks around the landscape pages is a
nonstarter -- page orientation is a section property, so the only way to
change it is to start a new section.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

funnybroad wrote:
[...]

Margaret Aldis

Hi Graham - I think you'd need to leave the page number part of this coming
from the {PAGE} field as restarted via page format - otherwise the OP's
table of contents page numbers are going to be wrong.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP