Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Birke Jim Birke is offline

Default Off topic question

Which newsgroup should I subscribe to ask questions about newsgroups?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What sorts of questions? About the groups themselves? About Usenet? About
newsreaders such as Outlook Express (which I see you're using)?

http://word.mvps.org

"Jim Birke .com" jimbir@yahoonotthis wrote in message
Which newsgroup should I subscribe to ask questions about newsgroups?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Birke Jim Birke is offline

I am subscribed to several newsgroups in msnews.microsoft.com.
Here are my questions:
one of them has the number 6495 in blue next to it. when I click on it, I
see '246 messages, 242 unread, 6345 not downloaded' in the lower left corner
of the screen. If Iook at this group from within the server, I see 6485
unread and 6489 total.. What do all these numbers mean? How do I download
the 6345?. Are all these messages taking up space on my drive? Is there a
newsgroup tutorial some place that I can read and learn from?

Thanks, Jim

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
What sorts of questions? About the groups themselves? About Usenet? About
newsreaders such as Outlook Express (which I see you're using)?

http://word.mvps.org

"Jim Birke .com" jimbir@yahoonotthis wrote in message
Which newsgroup should I subscribe to ask questions about newsgroups?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The number 246 is the number of message headers you have downloaded; the 242
are the messages you have not "read" (i.e., clicked on and left selected
long enough for them to have been marked as read). To get the rest, you have
to change your NG settings so that you don't get just a limited number of
headers at a time (in Tools | Options | Read: News, clear the check box for
"Get (x) headers at a time." When you click on a NG in OE, only the headers
(subject lines) are downloaded; messages are not downloaded until you choose
to do so (there are settings for each NG, however, that determine whether
headers or messages are downloaded for offline reading).

The messages that you download (by clicking on the header to read in the
preview pane or by double-clicking to open them) are indeed stored on your
HD. If you have the Size column displayed in OE, you'll see that they're
quite small (I'm seeing messages ranging from 1KB to 7KB in this NG at the
moment), and OE stores them collectively in folders so that they don't take
up too much space. If you have OE set to expire them after a certain length
of time (say, 30 days), then you won't be storing them indefinitely.

For more on all this, see

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Birke Jim Birke is offline

Thanks for the info

For more on all this, see ? did you leave out a link?

Where, on my drive, are the messages stored?

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sorry, I started to include a link, then looked at the linked page and
concluded that it didn't say much more than I'd already told you (or you
already knew). I've seen more info posted in one of these NGs recently, but
evidently not from that page. I meant to delete the intro text. You can,
however, learn more about how OE handles messages from the Web site I was
going to reference. See http://www.insideoe.com/files/

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Birke Jim Birke is offline

Thanks again. That will help a lot!
Now, back on topic

Jim

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Sorry, I started to include a link, then looked at the linked page and
concluded that it didn't say much more than I'd already told you (or you
already knew). I've seen more info posted in one of these NGs recently,
but evidently not from that page. I meant to delete the intro text. You
can, however, learn more about how OE handles messages from the Web site I
was going to reference. See http://www.insideoe.com/files/

Need to link topic headers in picture to topic header in word doc Ranusirus Microsoft Word Help 1 January 21st 09 06:52 AM
Off-Topic: Counting File Path Length Hardip Microsoft Word Help 1 April 27th 07 07:28 AM
Sorry if a little off topic but question on paper for letter headings Ken New Users 13 April 20th 07 08:43 AM
Help topic? Stan Brown New Users 4 March 31st 07 11:16 PM
topic for a biased speech to convey other into what i think nbohrer24 Microsoft Word Help 4 March 29th 06 03:34 PM