Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default multiple x-ref updating?

I'm sure I've seen it mentioned here how to update all the cross
references at once, but Word Help Function Keys Shortcuts List doesn't
have such a thing. I've resorted to Ctrl-A to select the whole
document and then F9, but that seems to take much longer than it ought
to.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Switching to Print Preview (Ctrl+F2) and then closing the preview (ESC) is
the quickest way to update cross-references.

There is no specific command to update all fields, only to update the
selected fields (which, obviously, excludes any fields in headers and
footers).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message

I'm sure I've seen it mentioned here how to update all the cross
references at once, but Word Help Function Keys Shortcuts List doesn't
have such a thing. I've resorted to Ctrl-A to select the whole
document and then F9, but that seems to take much longer than it ought
to.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks -- I remembered the Print Preview thing but didn't know I
didn't have to burrow into the Office menu to get at it ... no room
left on my QAT! (There would be if I could remove the labels on "Show
Document Map" and "Keep With Following.")

On Feb 2, 7:51*pm, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
Switching to Print Preview (Ctrl+F2) and then closing the preview (ESC) is
the quickest way to update cross-references.

There is no specific command to update all fields, only to update the
selected fields (which, obviously, excludes any fields in headers and
footers).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter T. Daniels" *wrote in ...

I'm sure I've seen it mentioned here how to update all the cross
references at once, but Word Help Function Keys Shortcuts List doesn't
have such a thing. I've resorted to Ctrl-A to select the whole
document and then F9, but that seems to take much longer than it ought
to.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Keyboard shortcuts come in handy in situations when the QAT is "full." :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote:
Switching to Print Preview (Ctrl+F2) and then closing the preview (ESC)
is
the quickest way to update cross-references.

There is no specific command to update all fields, only to update the
selected fields (which, obviously, excludes any fields in headers and
footers).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in

I'm sure I've seen it mentioned here how to update all the cross
references at once, but Word Help Function Keys Shortcuts List doesn't
have such a thing. I've resorted to Ctrl-A to select the whole
document and then F9, but that seems to take much longer than it ought
to.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ain't no keyboard shortcuts for any of the Bibliography stuff, so that
takes up at least a couple of inches of the QAT. Other ones I use a
lot are Show/Hide grid lines, para mark, and tab mark; Add Comment;
Paste Special; also Font Substitution (which is really buried
somewhere). And the Para Style, Font, and Size dropdowns, so I can
keep the Ribbon closed most of the time -- they all use up real estate
too.

On Feb 4, 8:04*am, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
Keyboard shortcuts come in handy in situations when the QAT is "full." :-)

"Peter T. Daniels" skrev i ...

wrote:
Switching to Print Preview (Ctrl+F2) and then closing the preview (ESC)
is
the quickest way to update cross-references.

There is no specific command to update all fields, only to update the
selected fields (which, obviously, excludes any fields in headers and
footers).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter T. Daniels" *wrote in

I'm sure I've seen it mentioned here how to update all the cross
references at once, but Word Help Function Keys Shortcuts List doesn't
have such a thing. I've resorted to Ctrl-A to select the whole
document and then F9, but that seems to take much longer than it ought
to.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Remember that you can *assign* keyboard shortcuts for many commands that
don't have any by default. But it is true that it isn't always possible, of
course...

--

wrote:
Keyboard shortcuts come in handy in situations when the QAT is "full."
:-)

"Peter T. Daniels" skrev i

wrote:
Switching to Print Preview (Ctrl+F2) and then closing the preview
(ESC)
is
the quickest way to update cross-references.

There is no specific command to update all fields, only to update the
selected fields (which, obviously, excludes any fields in headers and
footers).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in

I'm sure I've seen it mentioned here how to update all the cross
references at once, but Word Help Function Keys Shortcuts List
doesn't
have such a thing. I've resorted to Ctrl-A to select the whole
document and then F9, but that seems to take much longer than it
ought
to.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I've used up all the one-key shortcuts available -- made "Accept
Change" and "Reject Change" Ctrl-\ and Ctri-Shift-| respectively, and
Ctrl-T is the Transpose macro someone here kindly provided long ago.

wrote:
Switching to Print Preview (Ctrl+F2) and then closing the preview
(ESC)
is
the quickest way to update cross-references.

There is no specific command to update all fields, only to update the
selected fields (which, obviously, excludes any fields in headers and
footers).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter T. Daniels" *wrote in

I'm sure I've seen it mentioned here how to update all the cross
references at once, but Word Help Function Keys Shortcuts List
doesn't
have such a thing. I've resorted to Ctrl-A to select the whole
document and then F9, but that seems to take much longer than it
ought
to.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Those are the three I mentioned.

I did just remove from the QAT several icons that I always use the
keyboard versions of (including Accept/Reject Change), so now the only
one that hangs off the right edge (I keep all my windows narrow enough
to keep my stack of gadgets -- CPU usage, time, date, weather -- in
view) is Document Map.

wrote:
Remember that you can *assign* keyboard shortcuts for many commands that
don't have any by default. But it is true that it isn't always possible,
of
course...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suzanne S. Barnhill[_3_] Suzanne S. Barnhill[_3_] is offline

I wonder why they didn't retain the existing icon for the Document Map
instead of replacing it with a stupid check.

wrote:
Remember that you can *assign* keyboard shortcuts for many commands
that
don't have any by default. But it is true that it isn't always
possible,
of
course...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Is there some way to get a keyboard shortcut for Document Map (toggle
on/off would be even better!)? It doesn't appear in the "Customize"
button - Show All Commands of Customize QAT.

On Feb 4, 8:04*am, "Stefan Blom"
Keyboard shortcuts come in handy in situations when the QAT is "full." :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

2007. What's a NavPane?

(If when they distributed the 2010 Beta they had bothered to mention
they made the Bibliography Tool do a different format in footnotes, I
might have kept it and even paid for the upgrade. 2013 is in Sam's
Club but there's no indication on the package that it brings any
improvement.)

wrote:
Keyboard shortcuts come in handy in situations when the QAT is "full."
:-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

OK. "NavPane" refers to the Navigation pane, which replaces the Document Map
in Word 2010 and later.

In Word 2007, have you tried assigning a shortcut to the ViewDocumentMap
command (found under All Commands)?

--

wrote:
Keyboard shortcuts come in handy in situations when the QAT is "full."
:-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Of course! I would _immediately_ head to the "V" section of the
commands list to find the Document Map!

Thank you.