BP522

Default Text boxes in protected Doc, form fields

I have a document form where I want the first section to be protected and the
2nd section unprotected. When I protect the first section my text boxes in
the second section disappear. Is there anything I can do?
Another option would be to protect the whole document and use text form
fields. In that case when I add the field how can I make the default field
size bigger than 5 spaces, I'd like it to be a whole line?

The drawing layer (including text boxes) is not accessible even in
unprotected sections of protected forms. Why do you need a text box? The
usual approach is to use ordinary document text. If you must have something
like a text box, you could use a frame. A text form field will expand to any
size you need, but you can make it visually larger by putting it in a table
cell of fixed size.

"BP522" wrote in message
I have a document form where I want the first section to be protected and

the
2nd section unprotected. When I protect the first section my text boxes

in
the second section disappear. Is there anything I can do?
Another option would be to protect the whole document and use text form
fields. In that case when I add the field how can I make the default

field
size bigger than 5 spaces, I'd like it to be a whole line?

BP522

Thanks you, I rewrote the form not to use text boxes. The advantage to text
boxes was that it gives the user an indication that they are doing the right
thing entering text here and they can mess up the rest of the form. If I use
text form fields it seems to accomplish the same result. My only problem is
at a point in the form I want to have a few blank lines for the user to enter
general comments. It tried doing this useing underlined tabs or tabls but
everytime the user gets to the end of the line it creates a new lineand
doesn't wrap to the next line. Is there a way to do this?
Thanks again.

"BP522" wrote in message
I have a document form where I want the first section to be protected and

the
2nd section unprotected. When I protect the first section my text boxes

in
the second section disappear. Is there anything I can do?
Another option would be to protect the whole document and use text form
fields. In that case when I add the field how can I make the default

field
size bigger than 5 spaces, I'd like it to be a whole line?

In my view there's really not much point in having underlines in a form to
be filled out online (lines are useful primarily for forms to be filled out
by hand). Instead of trying to use blank lines, just create a large enough
table cell for the desired entry or, for extended freeform entries, use an
unprotected section.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The drawing layer (including text boxes) is not accessible even in
unprotected sections of protected forms. Why do you need a text box? The
usual approach is to use ordinary document text. If you must have

something
like a text box, you could use a frame. A text form field will expand to

any
size you need, but you can make it visually larger by putting it in a

table
cell of fixed size.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"BP522" wrote in message
I have a document form where I want the first section to be protected

and
the
2nd section unprotected. When I protect the first section my text

boxes
in
the second section disappear. Is there anything I can do?
Another option would be to protect the whole document and use text

form
fields. In that case when I add the field how can I make the default

field
size bigger than 5 spaces, I'd like it to be a whole line?

In that case, I would suggest a large text form field (that is, a text form
field in a generous-sized table cell) with drawing lines inserted at
intervals. These are very finicking to set up, but it can be done.

1. Set the line spacing of the form field to Exactly 12 or 24 pts. These
settings will accommodate the use of typewriters since they are equivalent
to single spacing (6 lpi) and double spacing (3 lpi).

2. Then insert drawing lines spaced 24 pts apart, which will be best for
handwritten entries (and will line up with either single-spaced or
double-spaced typed text). For tips on doing this, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/LinesInForms.htm (once you've got the
first one placed correctly, it's not too difficult to adjust the rest in
relation to it; just make sure they're all anchored to, and their position
defined in relation to, the text form field).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In my view there's really not much point in having underlines in a form

be filled out online (lines are useful primarily for forms to be filled

out
by hand). Instead of trying to use blank lines, just create a large

enough
table cell for the desired entry or, for extended freeform entries, use

an
unprotected section.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.