Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Andy M. Andy M. is offline

Default update cross reference field in a footnote

In a footnote in document that I have created, I put a cross-reference field
to another footnote in the document. When I select the the field and
right-click on it, however, I do not get an update field option, as I do with
cross-references in the main text. I'd appreciate any help in resovling this
problem. Thanks --
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Even if the command to update the field is not on the context (right-click)
menu, you should still be able to do so by pressing F9. Or simply switch to
Print Preview and back to have Word update the cross-reference fields.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Andy M." Andy wrote in message
In a footnote in document that I have created, I put a cross-reference
field
to another footnote in the document. When I select the the field and
right-click on it, however, I do not get an update field option, as I do
with
cross-references in the main text. I'd appreciate any help in resovling
this
problem. Thanks --

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For some operations, you have to do it separately for the footnotes
and for the main text. After Ctrl-A in the text (and an F9 thing, or
whatever), do Ctrl-A in any footnote and repeat the operation (just in
case).

On Aug 4, 10:03 am, "Stefan Blom" wrote:
Even if the command to update the field is not on the context (right-click)
menu, you should still be able to do so by pressing F9. Or simply switch to
Print Preview and back to have Word update the cross-reference fields.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Andy M." Andy wrote in ...

In a footnote in document that I have created, I put a cross-reference
field
to another footnote in the document. When I select the the field and
right-click on it, however, I do not get an update field option, as I do
with
cross-references in the main text. I'd appreciate any help in resovling
this
problem. Thanks --

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Indeed, F9 only works for fields in the selection. In this case, Print
Preview is definitely easier, but note that it doesn't update any field (see
"Which fields are updated when you open, repaginate, or print document" at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211629/en-us).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP