emptyspace

Default Problem with saving tab settings for header.

Hi

I'm using word 2003 on XP home, and I'm working with a master document
comprising of 7 subdocuments. I have set up headers which contain have a left
aligned piece of text such as Chapter X, and a right aligned piece of text
(eg. Intro duction), the alignment uses a right align tab to achieve this.
However, when I open my document the right aligh tab is not in the correct
position (it should be at 15.5 cm, but is always at 14.6cm when i expand the
master document). If I correct the tab and save the document, when I open the
document again the tab is back at 14.6cm. Does anyone know how I can make the
program remember my settings?

Thanks very much in advance

Dave
Margaret Aldis

It sounds like you have not set the tab positions in the Header style in
your master document. But before you go too far you may want to read these
links:

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/Wh...ocsCorrupt.htm

http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/pdfs/masterdocs.PDF

Basically, if you really need and want to use master documents, follow Steve
Hudson's advice on how to use them safely. If like most of us you can do
without, make a composite document or use INCLUDETEXT fields instead.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"emptyspace" wrote in message
[...]

emptyspace

Thanks for your reply Margaret.

Unfortunately your suggestion to set the tab positions via the header style
same the same problem as if I had changed the tabs using the mouse.

Thanks for the links, I didn't know that the master document feature was
quite so dodgy.

When I've completed the subdocuments I'll try and create a new master
document and see if that solves the problem.

Any other sugesstions will be gratefully recieved.

Thanks once again,

Dave