Lose Changes to Style When Document ReOpened

Old February 21st 14, 02:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected]

Default Lose Changes to Style When Document ReOpened

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 1:47:58 PM UTC-5, Stefan Blom wrote:
If styles change when you (re-)open a document, you need to do the following: In the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box, clear the option to "Automatically update document styles." To display the dialog box: First display the Developer tab on the ribbon by selecting it at File tab | Options | Customize Ribbon. Then, on the Developer tab, click Document Template. (These instructions apply to Word 2010 and 2013.) -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP wrote in message ... I have found a partial remedy to the lost styles problem, which is: I have defined my styles as a "quick style set". Each time I re-open the document, the styles are reverted to some default, but by applying my quick style set I can regain my styles. Still, it is annoying that I have to do it each and every time I open the document. Isn't there any possibility to cause the style definitions to stay? (Preferably one that does not involve templates...) Den onsdag den 12. februar 2014 14.51.28 UTC+2 skrev Lisa Wilke-Thissen: Hi, You may be interested to know I did explicitly change the font colour setting for style A, but then the error would occur on reopening the document (so there is a "bug" somewhere) you did not change the Design, you did not change the Styles Set? Did you modify a character style, a paragraph style, or a linked style? You just modified this one style, you did not modify the basis style? Click into the formatted text and press SHIFT + F1. In the "Reveal Formatting" pane enable "Distinguish style source". Then, which information does the pane show for your text? When opening the document by "Open and Repair": Does any error message occur? Your also can send me the document for analysing. -- Cheers, Lisa

I've implemented all of the suggestions mentioned in this thread. I've been able to correct the 0.25 Left Indent added to some table cells when re-opening the document. But I'm unable to resolve the 0.25 Hanging Indent added to some table cells. I can't simply reapply the style because the table cell content has additional formatting that is unique to the cell. Reapplying the style causes everything within the cell to assume the style definition properties.
Old February 21st 14, 02:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected]

Old February 28th 14, 11:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected]

On Thursday, June 28, 2012 7:51:28 AM UTC-6, Connie Maldonado wrote:
I am successfully making changes to a style in Word 2010. When I reopen the document (after saving and closing), the changes are no longer there. Any suggestions?

I am having this issue with the reddish cell shading of the Austere footer that I am using. I have to open a new document, place the footer there, cut it, paste it into my document (If I just place it in my document, I lose the red cell completely). I save it. The next day I open the file, and poof, the red cell shading is gone. When I select the cell and change the shading through Borders and Shading, it does nothing. When I go into Borders and Shading a second time, it didn't even hold the formatting I changed it to the first time. What the heck is going on? Little things like this make me feel inept and like an idiot at using a program I'm quite familiar with!
Old March 1st 14, 09:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Lisa Wilke-Thissen

Hi,

[Word 2010, Windows 7]
I am having this issue with the reddish cell shading of the Austere footer
that I am using.
I have to open a new document, place the footer there, cut it, paste it
into my document (If I just place it in my document, I lose the red cell
completely).
I save it. The next day I open the file, and poof, the red cell shading is
gone.

please, can you send me the document?
If it seems to be a bug, I can send a report to Microsoft. If it is *not* a
bug, maybe I find the cause and a solution.

--
Cheers,
Lisa

Old March 8th 14, 09:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected]

Have just tried it and it works. (It is possible to reach the necessary option
without messing with the ribbon, via File options add-ins manage templates).
Thank you!

Old March 8th 14, 09:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom[_3_]

For an even more convenient way you can add the Document Template button to
the Quick Access Toolbar.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old August 11th 14, 03:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected]

I am having a lot of trouble with my word table cells.

After I have shaded the cell into a different colour, it changes back to no colour again everytime I reopen the document.

What is so annoying is that there are only some cells where this problem occurs. So I end up with tables with missing shaded cells here and there but I just can't seem to fix it.

Does anyone have any idea?
Old August 19th 14, 01:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom[_3_]

Is this shading applied to text or to the actual cell? Shading applied to
text would not fill the cell unless the text fills the cell. Text shading
may also be affected by "Automatically update document styles" in the

Old December 11th 14, 06:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected]

On Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:51:28 AM UTC-5, Connie Maldonado wrote:
I am successfully making changes to a style in Word 2010. When I reopen the document (after saving and closing), the changes are no longer there. Any suggestions?

Very helpful. Thanks guys and gals!
Old February 18th 15, 02:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected]

Le jeudi 29 novembre 2012 21:29:35 UTC+1, Lisa Wilke-Thissen a écrit*:
Hi,

I am successfully making changes to a style in Word 2010. When I
reopen the document (after saving and closing), the changes are no
longer there.

maybe, following option is enabled: Developer Tools | Templates |
Document Template | Automatically Update Document Styles.

--
Cheers,
Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Lisa's trick worked fine for me. Thanks a lot !

Cheers,