Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave the Duck Dave the Duck is offline

Default Backspace highlights and deletes chunks of text

This has slowly been driving me nuts: I'm typing up an essay, and if I use
the backspace key to delete something I've just typed Word tries to be
helpful by highlighting a few words on the first press, and deleting it all
on the second. This means that if I quickly try to backspace across two
letters I can actually end up deleting half a sentence instead.

Is there any way to turn this "feature" off? I've poked through the menus
but didn't have any luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave the Duck[_2_] Dave the Duck[_2_] is offline

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote:

If you're using a wireless keyboard, try replacing the batteries
in it.

Nope, it's a wired keyboard. The keyboard seems to work perfectly well in
every other program I use too, so I don't think it's a hardware problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave the Duck[_2_] Dave the Duck[_2_] is offline

No, it's not that either, although thank you for telling me about that, I
didn't know control deletes full words!

Unlike the control delete, the first backspace in this problem highlights a
word or a few words as if you'd highlighted them with the mouse, and it's the
second one that deletes it.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Ctrl key sticking?

http://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Perhaps you have EXT (Extend Selection) enabled? The shortcut key for this
is F8.

http://word.mvps.org

"Dave the Duck" wrote in message
No, it's not that either, although thank you for telling me about that, I
didn't know control deletes full words!

Unlike the control delete, the first backspace in this problem highlights
word or a few words as if you'd highlighted them with the mouse, and it's
the
second one that deletes it.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Ctrl key sticking?