trash

Default mailmerge to email using Lotus Notes or Eudora, no Outlook

Where I work, every machine has Microsoft Office 2003 (every
application in the bundle except for Outlook). The default email client
is Lotus Notes 6, but we also have licenses for Eudora.

We need to create a mailmerge using Word 2003 grabbing the data from
from an Excel file or a flat file from a mainframe. This is no problem.
We can print thousands of letters at a time (or as much as the printer
can support).

The problem that we have is that we cannot do mailmerge to email. The
email option does not come up in the menu that Word 2003 offers.

The Novell/Windows administrator says that the installation of Outlook
includes certain files (DLLs most likely) that allow Word to
communicate with the default email client, in our case Lotus Notes 6.
The problem here is we cannot give users Outlook even it is hidden or
somewhat disabled (internal BS plus all the vulnerabilities that
Outlook has).

How can we make Word talk to an email client can send the thousands of
emails that we need to send.

cheers,
Frank

Hi Frank,

It's funny that I've found your message. The problem that you're
having is the same problem I'm having.

I started my search yesterday, but still no success in finding anything
that will tell me how to Email Merge to Lotus Notes.

We use Lotus Notes 6 here @ work & Office XP. I do though, have
Outlook XP on my system, thank goodness! I've managed to install
Microsofts Outlook Domino Connector to have Outlook as my default email
application & have Outlook communicating to the Domino Server to
retreive my emails. I can do Email Merge this way, with Outlook. I
can't set everyone up with Outlook & the Domino Connector though.
Everyone is to use Lotus Notes. So running with Outlook, the Email
Merge works perfect, just how it should work.

I've tried Email Merge with someone else's system that's running just
Lotus Notes 6 with the thought of Word will send Bulk Emails regardless
which Email Application you use. I thought it uses the default Email
app, but it doesn't. It didn't work for me, which I thought it might
be a setting in Lotus Notes. ....Well, after all that, this is why I'm
online looking everywhere how to run this Email Merge with Lotus Notes.

Please... if you find out how to do it with Lotus, would you mind
sending me an email on how to get it working.
]

Regards,

Chris Kepu

trash wrote:
[...]

This is the VBA Code i created, works with Office 2000 and Notes 6. U
just need to install activate notes.dll in the object-explorer of Macro
editor:

I explicitly did not use Notesbackend classes although there might be
faster. By using the Clipboard the Format conversion from Word to Notes
RTF is done automatically.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
Sub MailMergeToEmail()

Dim Email, Subject, PrevRecord As Variant
Dim MyMerge As MailMerge
Dim MyEmbedded As Variant

Dim LNSession As Object
Dim LNMailDB As Object
Dim LNMailMemo As Object
Dim LNMailMemoBody As Object
Dim LNMail As Object
Dim I As Integer

Set MyMerge = ActiveDocument.MailMerge

Set LNSession = CreateObject("Notes.NotesSession")
Set LNWorkspace = CreateObject("Notes.NotesUIWorkspace")

LNMailServer = LNSession.GETENVIRONMENTSTRING("MailServer", True)
LNMailDBName = LNSession.GETENVIRONMENTSTRING("MailFile", True)
LNUserName = LNSession.UserName

PrevRecord = 0
ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False

Subject = InputBox("Enter subject for your Mailing", _
"Subject mailing", _
"Subject")

If MyMerge.State = wdMainAndDataSource Then
MyMerge.DataSource.ActiveRecord = wdFirstRecord
MyMerge.ViewMailMergeFieldCodes = False

While MyMerge.DataSource.ActiveRecord PrevRecord
PrevRecord = MyMerge.DataSource.ActiveRecord

Email = MyMerge.DataSource.DataFields("eMail").Value
ActiveDocument.Content.Copy

Set LNMail = LNWorkspace.COMPOSEDOCUMENT(LNMailServer,
LNMailDBName, "Memo")
Call LNMail.FIELDSETTEXT("Subject", Subject)
Call LNMail.FIELDSETTEXT("EnterSendTo", Email)
Call LNMail.GOTOFIELD("Body")
Call LNMail.Paste
Call LNMail.SEND
Call LNMail.Close(True)

MyMerge.DataSource.ActiveRecord = wdNextRecord
Wend

End If

MyMerge.ViewMailMergeFieldCodes = True

Set LNMailMemo = Nothing
Set LNMailDD = Nothing
Set LNSession = Nothing
End Sub

gar

We're having the EXACT same problem at the moment! We can use Excel to
set up the mail merge on Word, but the problem is transfering that mail
merge to Notes 6. This VBA solution is our only hope at the moment (bar
forking out on software).

I'm not too familiar with VBA but having a look at it now. Do you just
fill that code into Microsoft VB? How exactly do you install activate
notes.dll in the object-explorer of the Macro editor?

Thanks,
Garrett

Unbelievable! EXACT same problem I'm working on. I could use some
additional feedback on how to fill in that code as well. This is
awesome!!

Thanks, Barb

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Karl M.

Hey!

Thanks for that code. Well like all others, I have a similar Problem. I want
to implement a Lotus Notes functionallity into a .NET 2005 Class Library. I'm
only not so familiar to VBA. Could you make an example of this code in C#? Or
could you at least give me a link, where I can download a tutorial about or
something similar?

Nice greetings
tvon tvon is offline
Junior Member

I'm having the same problem but with Eudora 6.2 . Has anyone figured out a solution using Eudora??

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trash
[...]

Last edited by tvon : March 7th 06 at 09:44 PM
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

I don't have Eudora here, but there's a document about COM Automation in
Eudora 4 at

http://www.eudora.com/pdf_docs/automation.pdf

which may give you some clues about how to adapt the macro for VBA that
appeared earlier in this thread, assuming that the COM object is still there
in Eudora 6.2.

Peter Jamieson

--
tvon