Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
garycahn

Default file name is changed when saving a merge

I created a main document and data source in Word 2000 and ran the
merge. It worked flawlessly. Then I took those same two file and
attempted to run the merge in Word 2003. The merge failed, but I don't
know why. Here are the details.

The main document has a line in it that reads:

{includepicture "c:\\documents and settings\\gary\\{mergefield
picture}"}

This line brings a photo into my merged document.

When I use that file in Word 2003, the merge works OK. However, when I
save that file in Word 2003 so I can use it later, Word changes the
"Include picture" line to read as follows:

{includepicture "../../../documents%20and%20settings\* {mergeformat"}

I have no idea why saving the file would foul up the "Include Picture"
line, but it fouls it up each time I attempt to save the file.
Needless to say, once the include picture line is fouled up the merge
doesn't bring the picture in anymore.

Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem?
Thank you

Gary Cahn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Use Ctrl+A to select the contents of the file and then use Ctrl+Shift+F9 to
unlink the pictures from their source. Then save the document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"garycahn" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
garycahn

After I did Cntl + A and then Cntl + Shift + F9, I was left with no
file name whatsoever. The directory path that I had previously typed
was wiped out.

So I typed the directory path back in, and saved it. Once again, MS
Word changed the directory path, just as it had changed it before, e.g.
{includepicture "../../../documents%20and%20settings\* {mergeformat"}

So obviously, the Cntrl + shift + F9 didn't work.

Does anyone have another solution to offer?

Gary Cahn

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Use Ctrl+A to select the contents of the file and then use Ctrl+Shift+F9 to
unlink the pictures from their source. Then save the document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"garycahn" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Try updating the fields by using F9 before the Ctrl+Shift+F9, which unlinks
them.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

oups.com...

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Use Ctrl+A to select the contents of the file and then use Ctrl+Shift+F9
unlink the pictures from their source. Then save the document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"garycahn" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

One of the things you probably need to do is uncheck Word
Tools|Options|General|Web options|Files|"Update links on save". This option
appears to apply whatever format you save in, not just to the scenario where
you're saving as a web page.

Peter Jamieson
"garycahn" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
garycahn

I tried F9 first, but I got the exact same results after pressing Cntrl
+ Shift + F9----my entire directory path and file name disappeared, and
I was left with nothing. My only choice was to retype the whole thing,
and when I tried saving it, Word once again changed my directory path.

Gary Cahn

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Try updating the fields by using F9 before the Ctrl+Shift+F9, which unlinks
them.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

oups.com...

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Use Ctrl+A to select the contents of the file and then use Ctrl+Shift+F9
unlink the pictures from their source. Then save the document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"garycahn" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
garycahn

I unchecked the box you suggested, but it had no effect on my problem.
Word is still changing my directory path and file name when I hit the
save key.

Gary Cahn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

A couple of things
a. in your message, you say that the field changes to

{includepicture "../../../documents%20and%20settings\* {mergeformat"}

That cannot be quite right as there is an extra "{" in there, but the thing
that really concerns me is that only the folder path is there, not the file
name. Is the field actually retaining the full path name including the file
name?
b. can you try inserting am INCLUDEPICTURE that uses the
"c:\\foldername\\filename.ext" type pathname on its own in a new Word 2003
document - please use a real path that points to an image - , then
- refresh the field (selct and F9)
- /check/ the box I suggested
- save the document. Does the pathname change to the "../../" type
pathname? Here, it definitely does.
- undo the change (if any) and refresh the field again
- uncheck the field I mentioned
- save the document. Does the pathname change? Here, it does not
- if nothing has changed, close and reopen the document. Has the path
changed? here, it does not.

If the behaviour is the same as it is here then it suggests that the
checkbox I mentioned does have an impact, and you should try recreating your
Word 2000 document by starting from a fresh Word 2003 document to see if
that makes any difference.

If you still see the problem, then there must be another factor. I can't
think what it might be at the moment, but at least we will know.

Peter Jamieson

oups.com...