Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Angie M.

Default Create Date field

When I use the create date field on the first page of my letter it works
fine, when I put it in the header for the remainder of the document it
updates. How can I get the create date field to NOT update to the current
date in the header? thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Charles Kenyon

1. The CreateDate field when put in a template updates to the current date
when a new document is created from the template. This is true whether or
not the field is in the header or footer. You must have a Date field.
http://addbalance.com/word/datefields1.htm

2. Instead of any kind of date field in the header/footer, use a StyleRef
field. That way if you change the date on page 1, other pages will update
automatically. http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm

Take a look at: How to set up letterhead or some other document where you
want one header on the first page and a different header on other pages.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm This gives step-by-step
instructions. (It also has the following links)

Some other pages to look at:

Letterhead Tips and Instructions
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial
http://addbalance.com/word/download....StylesTutorial
(for simulating different margins on different pages, among other things)

Template Basics
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

How to Create a Template - Part 2 - essential reading
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Word "Forms"
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordw...rces.htm#Forms and

Word for Word Perfect Users
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordperfect.htm if you are coming from a WP
environment (or even if you are not).

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Angie M." wrote in message
When I use the create date field on the first page of my letter it works
fine, when I put it in the header for the remainder of the document it
updates. How can I get the create date field to NOT update to the current
date in the header? thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Are you sure that you have a Createdate field in both places?

A CreateDate field will show the date on which the mailmerge main document
was created. What dates are being shown on the first page and on the second
page?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Angie M." wrote in message
When I use the create date field on the first page of my letter it works
fine, when I put it in the header for the remainder of the document it
updates. How can I get the create date field to NOT update to the current
date in the header? thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Angie M.

Thank you Charles and Doug. YOU GUYS ARE HOT!

I am indeed using createdate fields in both the first page and the header
for my letter template, of course wanting the date the letter was created in
both places. The Createdate field on the first page behaves, the one in the
header changes (updates), very strange, but this is happening in several of
my templates. Because we are a law firm this is a BIG DEAL. I have deleted
and replaced the Createdate field.

I will try the style ref tip, this

"Angie M." wrote in message
When I use the create date field on the first page of my letter it works
fine, when I put it in the header for the remainder of the document it
updates. How can I get the create date field to NOT update to the current
date in the header? thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Also, could you send me a copy of a letter (a blank one will do) created
from the template so I can try and see what is going on.

--

"Angie M." wrote in message
When I use the create date field on the first page of my letter it
works
fine, when I put it in the header for the remainder of the document it
updates. How can I get the create date field to NOT update to the
current
date in the header? thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Angie M.

The createdate fields and resulting date (June 20, 2006) look exactly the
same, but tomorrow my letter will have June 20, 2006 on the first page and in
the header of the second page you will see June 21, 2006.

I will send it to you but I need to find your email first. thanks

Date functions!!!! cjlanphear Tables 3 June 8th 06 02:56 AM
How to get a date merge field to show a date 60 days in the future George Mailmerge 6 March 2nd 06 07:17 AM
Suppressing Merge Field and text before/after julie Microsoft Word Help 8 November 14th 05 02:50 PM
keyboard shortcut for create date & time chixwchops Microsoft Word Help 4 September 14th 05 07:42 PM
Manually edit date in createdate field Graham Mayor Microsoft Word Help 2 August 27th 05 08:23 AM