Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Chuck Tintera

Default How do I get a sheet of mailing labels to align?

I am working with an Avery 5163 sheet for 2x4 (10 to a sheet) labels in MS
Word.

If I compose a label with multiple text boxes in the upper left position on
the sheet and then try to copy and paste the same set of text boxes to all 10
labels the first 2 rows (4 labels) will align properly without any problem as
well as the 5th but the 6th one will not.

I select all the text boxes in the "master" label, step the cursor to the
right to the next label and paste cntrl-v. The copy appears over the
original label instead of at the cursor position - a RPITB, but I can move
the new label into the position I want. Howver when I try this for the 6th
label, 3rd row down - right collum, it's a struggle to get that label
centered verticaly on that label.

What am I doing wrong?

TIA
cvt
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

What you appear to be doing wrong is creating labels with text boxes instead
of using a table.
Avery 5163 is pre defined in the envelope/label wizard. Select that label
and - New Document to create a page of 'labels'.

Chuck Tintera wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Chuck Tintera

Well the way you describe it is about 1/2 of what is happening. I didn't go
into detail & possbily should have. The process is this: Start word and
create a sheet of labels using the Avery template in Tools - Letters &
Mailings - Envelopes & labels.

Enter text into multiple text boxes for upper left label, select and try to
copy ALL text boxes to all other labels.

I'm not sure how I'd use a table to do as you mention, never tried it that
way. Is that a "preferred" method?

cvt

Chuck Tintera wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Why are you using text boxes?

Labels are just tables with fixed cell dimensions and the text etc. that you
want to appear on the labels should be entered directly into the cells.

That said, your problem is probably that you are selecting and copying the
contents of the cell, rather than the cell itself. If you do the former and
have text boxes in the cell, they will be anchored to probably a paragraph
mark in the cell and those which you paste are anchored to the same
paragraph mark, rather than a corresponding paragraph mark in the cell to
which you paste them.

But once again, what is the purpose of using text boxes in the first place?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Chuck Tintera wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Hmmm. Unless you explain the purpose of the text boxes we are in trouble
here. Text boxes should not be used to contain merge fields or the merge may
not see them. Does http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm help?

Chuck Tintera wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Chuck Tintera

I have inherited the text boxes & have no idea why the %^&^ that did it in
the first place did it that way.

Suffice it to say that personalities & office politics were involved (!)
'nough said?

Anyway - what is a better way?

The labels contain 3 major elements - header, text, & number. The font is
the same throughout, though the size changes & no graphics are included. The
header is centered and is usually 2 lines, followed by a blank line. The
text is 4 or 5 lines, justified, and followed by a blank line. The last
element, the number, is 14 characters, bold & centered.

Since the originator(s) have "past from our ken" (thankfully); if I can
change the process it will probably stick (if it's an improvement!)

Any & all help will be much appreciated!

cvt

Chuck Tintera wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Your description makes this sound a very simple layout that can be achieved
with paragraph and text formatting. No need for text boxes at all!

Chuck Tintera wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Chuck Tintera

Thank you, that's what I think also.

Something like "if the only tool you have is a hammer then every task
becomes a nail" applies here, I'm sure.

cvt