Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
David

Default Repaginating after mail merge

I have an Excel spreadsheet which is used to generate a Word document. When
the document is generated, each row in the spreadsheet becomes one page (and
section) in the Word document, with page numbers generated. There are times
when I only need a subset of the generated document. I am able to export the
selected records to a new Word document, but have had a major headache trying
to renumber things to 1-N. I have tried everything I can think of in Word,
does anyone have any ideas?

I'd prefer not to subset the Excel spreadsheet into a separate document with
just the needed records.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

What do you mean by "renumber things to 1-N"?

Make sure that in the mailmerge main document, the page numbering is
formatted to start at 1 and not continue from the previous Section.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"David" wrote in message
I have an Excel spreadsheet which is used to generate a Word document.
When
the document is generated, each row in the spreadsheet becomes one page
(and
section) in the Word document, with page numbers generated. There are
times
when I only need a subset of the generated document. I am able to export
the
selected records to a new Word document, but have had a major headache
trying
to renumber things to 1-N. I have tried everything I can think of in
Word,
does anyone have any ideas?

I'd prefer not to subset the Excel spreadsheet into a separate document
with
just the needed records.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Treemad Treemad is offline

I create a one page mail merged document, I understand that at teh end of a
mail merged document, Word puts in a Section Break [continous]. but even
though I see only one page (i know there are technically 2 sections) my page
number in eth footer reads "page 1 of 2" can you help how do I get it to
read the number of pages that are REALLY there.
--
Kirstin

"David" wrote in message
I have an Excel spreadsheet which is used to generate a Word document.
When
the document is generated, each row in the spreadsheet becomes one page
(and
section) in the Word document, with page numbers generated. There are
times
when I only need a subset of the generated document. I am able to export
the
selected records to a new Word document, but have had a major headache
trying
to renumber things to 1-N. I have tried everything I can think of in
Word,
does anyone have any ideas?

I'd prefer not to subset the Excel spreadsheet into a separate document
with
just the needed records.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kara Kara is offline

How do I have the 1st page of the document also show the remaining section
pages if the header/footer is set to be different on that page?

If I use {SectionPages} it will show 1 of 1. I tried adding 4 to the
section pages but get a syntax error ({ ={sectionpages} +4}).

Thanks for your help!

"David" wrote in message
I have an Excel spreadsheet which is used to generate a Word document.
When
the document is generated, each row in the spreadsheet becomes one page
(and
section) in the Word document, with page numbers generated. There are
times
when I only need a subset of the generated document. I am able to
export
the
selected records to a new Word document, but have had a major headache
trying
to renumber things to 1-N. I have tried everything I can think of in
Word,
does anyone have any ideas?

I'd prefer not to subset the Excel spreadsheet into a separate document
with
just the needed records.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If there are 5 pages in the Section, { SECTIONPAGES } will display 5
regardless of whether or not you have a Different First Page header.

Regardless of that, if you use the formula { = { SECTIONPAGES } + 4 }, using
Ctrl + F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters, that will return a number
that is four more than the number of pages in the Section.

What are do you really have and what are you really trying to do?

Are you David, Kirstin or Kara?

--

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kara Kara is offline

This is Kara...

Hmmm...this is interesting. If I print the letters rather then edit
individual letters they print out correctly. If I view the letters the 1st
letter shows 1 of 1 on the first page and then 2 of 5, 3 of 5, etc. The rest
of the letters are correct starting with 1 of 5. If I press Alt + F9 on my
keyboard twice to display the field codes and then hide them the first letter
updates and then displays 1 of 5 on the first letter. It is then correct on
all of the letters.

Thanks for your help!

Kara Peterson

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The failure to update fields when merged to a new document is a common
problem. I would recommend that you have an update macro available from your
toolbar - see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm for sample code.

}

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP