Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Phil Rabichow Phil Rabichow is offline

Default New Word 2003 datasource from wizard?

Using Word 2003, is it possible to create a new Word datasource using the
wizard? When I get to step 3 (select recipients) & choose "Type a new
list", the only option is an Access datasource. I know that it's possible
to create the Word datasource first & then choose it, but what about using
the wizard? (I also know you can do it using the old MailMergeHelper dialog
box).
--
Thanks in advance,
Phil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

A datasource created via the Wizard will be created in the form of (some
form of) an Access database. To (small a) access it other that via the Mail
Merge utility, you must use Access.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Phil Rabichow" wrote in message ...
Using Word 2003, is it possible to create a new Word datasource using the
wizard? When I get to step 3 (select recipients) & choose "Type a new
list", the only option is an Access datasource. I know that it's possible
to create the Word datasource first & then choose it, but what about using
the wizard? (I also know you can do it using the old MailMergeHelper
dialog
box).
--
Thanks in advance,
Phil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Phil Rabichow Phil Rabichow is offline

Thanks, Doug. I thought that there might be a way for the wizard to create a
datasource as a Word table. After all, some people don't have Access & just
have Word.
--
Thanks again,
Phil

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Just a few extra points that may help you...
a. when you create a data source in this way, Word creates the .mdb using a
specific data structure and calls the .mdb an "Office Address List" (OAL)
b. When a .mdb file is in OAL format,
- Word shouldn't prompt you for any table/query name when you try to
re-open the data source
- Word does let you display the data source in its recipients dialog box.
So, even with Word, users do have a way to view the data, although it's
obviously not quite the same as being able to edit with the "native" Word
facilities you would have if you were editing a data source in Word format.
However, the dialog box is limited to 10000 records.
- Word lets you edit the data source from the recipients dialog box. Word
no longer allows direct editing of most other data sources, even .mdb tables
that are not in Office Address List format. (Although if you are still
conecting using DDE you can obviously edit Access and Excel data sources in
their "native" applications)
c. beware of /opening/ an OAL in Access and doing stuff to it, such as
creating Access reports. The chances are that you will add stuff to the .mdb
that will prevent Word from seeing it as an OAL. If you want to use Access
to do stuff with an Office Address List, I suggest you
- back up the OAL until you can establish that what you are doing to it
will not de-OAL it
- use a front-end Access database to do what you want and make links to
the table/query in the OAL (in which case I don't think the OAL is actually
modified at all, but you'll need to verify that for yourself).

Peter Jamieson

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Phil Rabichow Phil Rabichow is offline

Default New Word 2003 datasource from wizard? - Thank you.

Thanks, Peter, for the information. I appreciate it.
--
Phil

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you add the old mailmerge helper - see
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm - you can create
data files from that in Word format.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

A datasource created via the Wizard will be created in the form of
(some form of) an Access database. To (small a) access it other
that via the Mail
Merge utility, you must use Access.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Phil Rabichow" wrote in message
Using Word 2003, is it possible to create a new Word datasource
using the
wizard? When I get to step 3 (select recipients) & choose "Type
a new list", the only option is an Access datasource. I know
that it's possible
to create the Word datasource first & then choose it, but what
about using
the wizard? (I also know you can do it using the old
MailMergeHelper dialog
box).
--
Thanks in advance,
Phil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Phil Rabichow Phil Rabichow is offline

Hi Graham:
Thanks for the information. I was just suprised that there was no option
within the wizard to use a Word table.
--
Phil

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can use a Word table created outside the Wizard. Simply attach the table
as a data source. In fact Word is probably happiest when using a Word table
as a merge data source. The wizard is frankly dreadful - you will find it
much easier to use the merge toolbar - documented in the link I posted
earlier.