Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Karin Karin is offline

Default Ask Field and Label Merge

I have a letter with an ASK field for the company name (as it is found in
several places through out the letter) and a FILLIN field for the address.

When I choose to create a label (or envelope), the FILLIN field is fine, but
the ASK field shows "error,...not found".

How can I work around this problem?

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Can you use alt-F9 to display the underlying field codes and reproduce them
in a message here please? (You can't just copy/paste them because of the
special field braces {} but do your best)

Peter Jamieson

"Karin" wrote in message
news
I have a letter with an ASK field for the company name (as it is found in
several places through out the letter) and a FILLIN field for the address.

When I choose to create a label (or envelope), the FILLIN field is fine,
but
the ASK field shows "error,...not found".

How can I work around this problem?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Or use the macro from my web site that will reproduce the fields *exactly*
as you have them. http://www.gmayor.com/export_field.htm

Peter Jamieson wrote:
Can you use alt-F9 to display the underlying field codes and
reproduce them in a message here please? (You can't just copy/paste
them because of the special field braces {} but do your best)

Peter Jamieson

"Karin" wrote in message
news
I have a letter with an ASK field for the company name (as it is
found in several places through out the letter) and a FILLIN field
for the address. When I choose to create a label (or envelope), the
FILLIN field is
fine, but
the ASK field shows "error,...not found".

How can I work around this problem?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Karin Karin is offline

This is the ASK field:

{ASK CompanyName "Type Name of Company, Click OK (do not add extra
returns)" \* MERGEFORMAT}

This is the reference field that is part of the address, and which will not
show when merged with a label (or env):

{REF CompanyName \h \* MERGEFORMAT}

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Can you use alt-F9 to display the underlying field codes and reproduce them
in a message here please? (You can't just copy/paste them because of the
special field braces {} but do your best)

Peter Jamieson

"Karin" wrote in message
news
I have a letter with an ASK field for the company name (as it is found in
several places through out the letter) and a FILLIN field for the address.

When I choose to create a label (or envelope), the FILLIN field is fine,
but
the ASK field shows "error,...not found".

How can I work around this problem?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There is nothing wrong with the fields as they stand, but how are you using
them? You make reference to a letter and to a label or envelope. What
exactly are you merging here and where have you placed these fields?

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Can you use alt-F9 to display the underlying field codes and
reproduce them in a message here please? (You can't just copy/paste
them because of the special field braces {} but do your best)

Peter Jamieson

"Karin" wrote in message
news
I have a letter with an ASK field for the company name (as it is
found in several places through out the letter) and a FILLIN field
for the address.

When I choose to create a label (or envelope), the FILLIN field is
fine, but
the ASK field shows "error,...not found".

How can I work around this problem?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Karin Karin is offline

The ask field is at the top of the letter. The reference is located in the
address line and also in a couple of places in the body of the letter.

To then print an envelope or a label (they behave the same), I choose, Tools
/ Letters and Mailings / Envelopes and Labels -- the window comes up with the
address information showing automatically, including the company name. But
when it prints it prints "Error....reference not found" instead of the
company name.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Can you use alt-F9 to display the underlying field codes and
reproduce them in a message here please? (You can't just copy/paste
them because of the special field braces {} but do your best)

Peter Jamieson

"Karin" wrote in message
news I have a letter with an ASK field for the company name (as it is
found in several places through out the letter) and a FILLIN field
for the address.

When I choose to create a label (or envelope), the FILLIN field is
fine, but
the ASK field shows "error,...not found".

How can I work around this problem?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I take it then that this isn't a merge at all, but merely a letter /
envelope / label? I havetried but cannot reproduce the problem from the
information supplied.

There a couple of oddities.
1. The \*mergeformat switches are almost certainly unneccessary.
2. The \h switch maybe unnecessary also.
3. I cannot persuade Word (2003) to automatically pickup an address line
that comprises a REF field, however if yours is carrying the field to an
envelope, try unchecking tools options print update fields. This
should not force that REF field to look for its source again. I also find
that if I copy the address and paste it into the envelope/label dialog that
the field is not carried - merely the result of that field at the time of
copying.
4. If you are adding the envelope that contains a REF field to the letter it
will then be before the REF field in the document. I can see that this might
cause the document some confusion when the field is updated, but I have not
found a way to do that, apart from copying the address and field to the
envelope manually.

"Karin" wrote in message
news I have a letter with an ASK field for the company name (as it is
found in several places through out the letter) and a FILLIN field
for the address.

When I choose to create a label (or envelope), the FILLIN field is
fine, but
the ASK field shows "error,...not found".

How can I work around this problem?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I would guess that your address is bookmarked with a bookmark called
EnvelopeAddress - that way, the REF field is copied to a new envelope. Is
that the case?

The REF field displays the current value of the CompanyName bookmark (i.e.
the one set up by the ASK field) at the time the REF field was last
executed. When you copy the REF, it should copy the current result as well.

Which version of Word are you using?

Peter Jamieson